Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Now this is a rapacious monster!!!

Micheal_R

Staff member
13 days ago, on July 17th, I phoned the forestry branch up here and reported this fire. I told them it was small, maybe an acre or less in size. If they wanted to get it under control, now would be the time...... send in a chopper with a bucket, , spend two hours dropping water on it and it would be out. I also mentioned that it was very close to a main Hydro transmission line so that should have been some further incentive to take care of it.

But no..... they waited and twiddled their thumbs until the wind came up and took the fire for a run. Now we have this monster of 500 plus acres billowing out of control and they finally send in a team to try and wrest some semblance of order..... ain't happening. Yesterday, the smoke was so thick, I could not see the hill across the road.

So here is an overview of the fire. You can see the transmission lines surrounded by the red fire retardant.

[attachment 64238 N50229-001.jpg]

[attachment 64239 N50229-011.jpg]

In this shot the aircraft has just dropped its load of retardant and now is heading back to Castlegar to reload.

[attachment 64240 N50229-017.jpg]

[attachment 64241 N50229-015.jpg]

I tell you, if I were chief, etc, etc, yada, yada..... :) :)

this is only about 4 miles from us, one hill away. So we are hoping that they either get it under control or the wind keeps it away.

Fair winds

Mikie

ya'll and Murray and Lynne?? Is it across the main highway where we turn into your driveway? Are you getting any rain at all? I know this is really scarey, and hope they get it under control. All that beautiful forest and scenery, not to mention the threat to all the people. :(

n/t

I hope no harm comes to anyone! Hey, send us a picture of you and you birthday dinner and cake, Okay???? :)

n/t

n/t

Today I was working high up on the local mountains and on the drive in and out of the job I was able to get a panoramic view of the local mountain ranges and the area that is currently burning. The temps are still very hot and no rain, and none in the forecast. The fire at the end of the day was sending up a very high plumb of smoke and then falling back down to create a blanket of smoke that covered as far as I could see and that was a couple of mountain ranges over. When the day was over and I was dropped off at my vehicle there was ash over the exterior and on the seats because of the sun roof. The air here is blue and the smell is very noticeable. They will probably close the back country to all commercial ventures right away, so as to reduce the chances of accidental fires, things are brittle out there. The good news is that the wind is calm and the nights are getting cool. Both Mike and I live along a river and have the water from there if we need to soak our places down. We are all doing fine and looking out for one another. The fire is in the area but not threatening us, yet......

hope you guys stay OK!