Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Notching iron out....

beebiz

As some of you know, I am brand new to metal detecting... haven't even gotten my new F2 yet! At nearly 50 years old, it would seem some waiting time wouldn't be hard for me. But, daaaaaaang!! It's worse than it was when I was a kid waiting on Christmas!!!!!!!!!

Though I don't have a detector yet, I still have a question. I know that if I notch out iron, the F2 will no longer pick up nails, nuts, bolts, and other such "trash." But, are there any of the "good" items that I will loos also?? The reason I asked is that I am trying to get permission to detect a couple of vacant lots in town. Each had and old house standing on it. One of the houses burned almost to the ground and the other one was torn down. I figured I should notch out the iron because of nails and such. But, I didn't want to do that if doing so could cause me to miss something of interest/value!

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me!!

Robert

To start off with...notch it out!! Now there could be a keeper under that nail or bolt or rusty tin can, but since you are new to detecting, give yourself the best chance to get some useful loot for the first hunts you go on. It doesn't take long for the kid-like amazement to go away when you are digging piece after piece of #@%@#$. Old houses have tons of junk around them, you will be amazed, so go for the goodies till you get some time under your belt, then back off on that disc. and dig the iffy stuff.

What BigCatDaddy has told you is good advise....On the F2 you have 4 tone ID also. I like to hunt with -0- Disc. (accept all targets) I then let the tones pick out the goodies. The F2, like most detectors will bounce a little on deep targets, don't let that bother you. Some folks dig all deep targets, especially if you get a good repeatable hit in all directions. Like BigCat says, Keep it simple for starters. After awhile you can start taking on more and more input that will help you ID the full range of targets.

Thanks for the advise, guys!!

BigCatDaddy said:
It doesn't take long for the kid-like amazement to go away when you are digging piece after piece of #@%@#$.

That could well be. And, I thank you for the "reality check." But, I am one that I don't give up easily at all. I am a Taurus and as hard-headed as they come!! I mainly wanted use this detector for motivation to get off my butt and get a little exercise!! So, I think that anything of value that I find (yes, including pennies) will simply motivate me even more. When I was in the Air Force in Germany, I was introduced to "dumpster diving." I've found lots of neat and valuable things in the dumpsters that I've dived into! But, I always had to wade and dig through hundreds... sometimes thousands of pounds of trash/garbage before I found something worth keeping!! But, I loved the hunt, the suspense, and the surprise of the valuable find so much that I would still be doing it today if I were physically able!! I am hoping that the same will be true of my metal detecting!!

Robert

Invest in a good digging knife like the Predator. There's so much junk around old house you may do better with the 4 inch coil.

[quote khouse]Invest in a good digging knife like the Predator. There's so much junk around old house you may do better with the 4 inch coil.[/quote]

When I ordered my detector, I also ordered a Lesche digger. It was suggested to me by my brother who has been detecting for a while. He has one of them and says they are virtually indestructable! Yeah, I figured that the 4" coil would be my best bet too. Thanks for the input!!

Robert