Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not much luck in my sisters yard.

I finally detected in my sisters yard yesterday. She has a farm house with a barndating to the 20's or 30's. I thought that I'd turn up some silver coins and wheaties , but I only found some modern coinage , rifle shells , a little toy pirates pistol , and some matchbox cars. She has a big yard and by no means did I detect it all , but I was kinda disapointed with the areas of it that I did search. Ohh well , maybe I'll do better next time I try it. There has to be some older coins in the ground there. Unless the people who lived there back in the day had zippers on their pockets - Lol - it seems that way so far anyways. Happy Hunting!! Craig

My folks grew up poor on a farm.

My uncle told me that he never even saw a coin.

Not even a penny, not until he was old enough to

leave and get a job. During the depression, that

was no easy task.

I never found much where they grew up.

But there are artifacts, and there could be a cash.

Coins are not out of the question.

Depends on their wealth and habits.

But that said, farms like any hard site requires

the same thing,

[size=x-large]Diligence.[/size]

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

tabdog said:
My folks grew up poor on a farm.

My uncle told me that he never even saw a coin.

Not even a penny, not until he was old enough to

leave and get a job. During the depression, that

was no easy task.

I never found much where they grew up.

But there are artifacts, and there could be a cash.

Coins are not out of the question.

Depends on their wealth and habits.

But that said, farms like any hard site requires

the same thing,

[size=x-large]Diligence.[/size]

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog
I just wanted to say that today is still very hard for us farmers. I am/have been a dairy farmer my whole life & things are getting worse all the time it seems. Our price we get for our milk goes down and the price of everything else goes up. I know that milk & cheese is expensive in the stores but believe me it isn't us farmers making the $$$, it is always the middle man. Steve.

WE assume that because we own a detector and some place is "old," that there must be old coins there.
I dont know how many times that belief has been dashed.

Dave is right about farmers being cash strapped. Pockets were deeper back in the day, too, and were sewn of stouter stuff.

Its possible that there aren't any old coins there. It's also possible that there are.
There is only one sure way to ever know: Grid it and hunt it.

I had little luck in my yard until I learned some things about the house (first built in 1954) and yard. The original front door was in a different place, and a neighbor told me where the old cloths line used to be. I found some wheat pennies near the original door and where the probable path line is. I found two small silver rings, a couple more wheat pennies and one silver quarter right where the cloths line used to be. The rest of the yard is filled with a lot of trash, some of it interesting, much of it not. I never would have thought I'd pull up a dozen car thermostats in this yard!

Keep at it. Never can tell what you may turn up.

SkiWhiz said:
I just wanted to say that today is still very hard for us farmers. I am/have been a dairy farmer my whole life & things are getting worse all the time it seems. Our price we get for our milk goes down and the price of everything else goes up. I know that milk & cheese is expensive in the stores but believe me it isn't us farmers making the $$$, it is always the middle man. Steve.

I own a home built in the 1920's and thought I would find some old coins etc. but all modern coins.
Steve...I know Your dilemma as some of the Farmers in the surrounding areas here advertise on Craigs List.The high mark up is the middleman & the store in which the Farmer does not receive. We have to hook-up next year & detect as I am not too far from You:thumbup:

Hey Craig, I'm pretty much a newbie at this like you so I'm not in much of a position to give advice but I'll share my experience.

I've evolved into mainly detecting old yards where I've gotten permission. Compared to many on this forum, my experience is minimal so my total number is small. At this point I've probably detected a couple dozen yards or so. Several of them haven't been fully worked yet, but on the majority of them I've done at least the better part of the yards.

A handful are what I call "suburban old" or newer - in other words built after WWII. The other yards I've done have all been pre-WWII.

Basically I've done about 20 homes that were built in the 1920's or earlier. Without spending too much time thinking about it, I'd say I've found old coins at about 3/4 of these old sites.

There were old sites I thought would be great but the only $ I found was new. It happens. It least it happens with me.

I also realize that someone with more experience than me would have no doubt found more than I did. But I'm digging and learning.

If you've got a lot of area left to detect, there's a decent chance there's still old coinage out there with your name on it!

PS - I always try to do at least a little research. Talking to immediate neighbors or people (the older the better) who live nearby could shed light on your sister's property. A lot of things can change or disappear over the course of 75+ years. It could also give you leads about other places to detect.

PS2 - It's amazing how many people don't know when their house was built. And when they don't know they invariably think their house is older than it is.

It's funny that you bring up that some people don't know the age of their homes - because I'm one of them. The reason for that is that it says "Date Unknown" on my house deed. I'm guessing that it's from the late 1800's because it's so poorly insulated and I also found an 1897 Indian Head Penny when I was insulating a crawl space in my basement last winter. I must of dragged it out when I was sliding out on my belly , because I looked down on the floor and there it was. I know it wasn't there before or I would have seen it. Anyways just letting you know why I don't know how old my house is. Keep em' Beepin!! Craig

Who do you live close to?? Do you mean me? I live in Northern Wisconsin in a small town called Lily in Langlade county. If so , I'd like to hook up and do some detecting next year for sure. The only one I do any detecting with is my friend I grew up with who lives still lives down by Milwaukee , but has a cabin here in Lily. I got him into detecting this spring when he went with me. He only comes up a few times a year , so I definately could use another detecting buddy. I enjoy detecting alone , but it's funner with a partner. If you do live close - Where do you live?? Happy Hunting , Craig