Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not All Digging Tools Are Equal :detecting:

SeniorSeeker

Nor are they all expensive. Some range from $35-45 or more. Many use common variety garden diggers but they often don't hold up and are an unnatural design for our purposes. Then there are those not designed to be a metal detecting digging tool that can be utilized for detecting and handle the job quite well. Such a tool is the 'Planter's Pal' by Ames sold by Home Depot for just $9.27. I took a picture of it, on the web, but the picture was 'too big' to use here. Here's the web address: http://www.ames.com/product/hand-tools/2442100-planters-pal-hand-tool/ for those who want to see this amazing tool. I tried it out this afternoon and, as long as the ground isn't as hard as concrete, it works just fine. Like many of you, I've seen about every kind of digger you can imagine over the last twenty years or so but none of them come close to this little gem. Check it out!

I have found that quality costs more but is worth it in the long run. I detect way more than the average guy, so my tools have to last. My main digger was expensive but it has many years on it and many more to go. And you could run it over with a truck and not hurt it.

Believe it or not, I've owned 2 Lesche's and didn't use either one more than twice. I just didn't like the weight and the weird angle of the handle to the blade. Glad you like them though. :) I finally found one that's about perfect, for me. I ordered it from Smile.Amazon.Com. It's called the MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Digging Knife P8246 for gardeners, Hunters, Hikers, Campers, Metal Detecting or Fishers and it comes with a strong sheath too. I absolutely love it! It strikes the perfect balance between weight and ease of handling. The cost is reasonable too. A whole lot less than what I paid for my Lesche's.

steve in so az said:
Having worn out several over the years. Steve in so la

SeniorSeeker said:
Believe it or not, I've owned 2 Lesche's and didn't use either one more than twice. I just didn't like the weight and the weird angle of the handle to the blade. Glad you like them though. :) I finally found one that's about perfect, for me. I ordered it from Smile.Amazon.Com. It's called the MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Digging Knife P8246 for gardeners, Hunters, Hikers, Campers, Metal Detecting or Fishers and it comes with a strong sheath too. I absolutely love it! It strikes the perfect balance between weight and ease of handling. The cost is reasonable too. A whole lot less than what I paid for my Lesche's.

I bought a 6 inch version of the Hori-Hori and truly loved it the first 3 times I used it when the ground was wet but it broke the 4th time I tried it which was in very dry ground and trying to work under a small tree root but I would like to get another one that will stand up to the tough red clay we have here in Va., so what are your thoughts on the MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Digging Knife P8246 for my soil here? I am not trying to say your choice is a bad one and really want one that will work for my conditions here and would appreciate your honest opinion.

GO VA said:
SeniorSeeker said:

I bought a 6 inch version of the Hori-Hori and truly loved it the first 3 times I used it when the ground was wet but it broke the 4th time I tried it which was in very dry ground and trying to work under a small tree root but I would like to get another one that will stand up to the tough red clay we have here in Va., so what are your thoughts on the MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Digging Knife P8246 for my soil here? I am not trying to say your choice is a bad one and really want one that will work for my conditions here and would appreciate your honest opinion.

Actually the ground here, in my neck of the woods, has been like concrete! Touch digging? You bet! But! This Hori-Hori is built like a tank. No question in my mind, the Lesche is an awesome tool but because of my physical limitations, it's simply too heavy for me to work with on a consistent basis. This particular Hori-Hori is one piece of steel from blade to handle. Another feature is that it has a slight curve to the blade, which makes it a bit more resistant to breakage. Hopefully this digger will last me for a long time.

Check out Predator tools. There are none built better or stronger. I have hunted VA many times, and quality digging tools are a must there. Most of the diggers in VA would send you in the same direction.