Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not a great start to 2012!

xplorerxs

I went out this afternoon to a 1928 school with my long suffering Explorer XS and new Garrett pinpointer.

After only a short while I popped a 1945 wheatie from two inches, followed by 1972 and 1966 pennies; both shallow finds. So I'm starting to get a little excited and think maybe the place hasn't been hammered to death already. The signals were clear as could be.

Then........the audio on the machine starts cutting out both with and without the phones. I turned it off and on and noise cancelled with no change. It would do it with the coil 5 feet in the air and nowhere near the ground. There were no overhead power lines nearby. I pulled the battery and restarted and no change. So I kept going and shortly thereafter the entire thing goes ape and continuously makes every sound in the book while the crosshairs are jumping all over the screen. I moved a ways off into a new area and no change. Even with the coil held high overhead and following more noise cancellation, it's still very erratic and unstable and just bouncing and chirping all over the place. It was useless, so I bagged the trip and came home. (The same audio issue happened a few days ago in the woods but the machine never became unstable and started chirpping like a nuthouse full of magpies.)

When I got home, I turned it on in the garage and the damn thing seems to be 'normal'; nice steady even hum on the audio and the crosshairs were stable. I've put a lot of hours on this machine and it never did this audio and wacky signal stuff before. What gives? Any ideas?

Did you check your batteries ???

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a broken connection where the wire connected to the coil. I had to get a new coil. However, my didn't return to normal like yours did in the garage.
Hope you get your problem solved.

Hi
I am sorry the THING GOD'S have not smiled down on you. My son and I went down to Biloxi Beach this AM, the weather was sunny and about 47 degrees. The wind was whipping out of the North so we both were dressed with the appropriate attire. I started working a pattern near the seawall but with all the fireworks debris it was difficult as I use very little discrimination. We went down closer to the high water mark and all I kept finding were those zinc pennies half ate up and flip tops. I guess we were at it for about 30 min when I got a broken signal with a low growl sounding like gold or aluminum on my good old sovereign minelab. I dug with my boot about 6 inches and then had the boy get at it with the gator. I was real surprised to turn the sand over and see a silver looking circle. I cleaned it off and thought I had found a white gold wedding ring, but the mint mark inside has it as a TUNGSTEN RING. The surface looks brushed so it's not real shiny, more of a smokey band. I had to look up TUNGSTEN rings as I had not heard of them, I see them priced in 100-200$. The ring fit's my pinky so I guess that is were it will stay until my oldest can wear it.
My bad luck was when my machine started chirping telling me the batteries were low and I had the back up pack at the house, ummmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
The batteries were topped off, fresh full charge on them so I rule that out.

Later on I got thinking that when I got in the car to come home, it warmed up the machine, even though it was not that cold outside. Anyway, I put the Explorer out back to let it get cold. When I took it out, it was working fine. After sitting out for a couple hours, I turned it on and lo and behold it had flaky audio but the xhairs were stable.

I noticed then that I had the sensitivity cranked way up in semi mode. I guess I didnt' drop it from when I had the small coil on earlier. Anyway, I lowered the sensitivity and it seemed to get back to normal. I won't know for sure till I go out in the woods again, but maybe I just had the sensitivity too high? I still don't know why it wouldn't level out when I had the coil pointing at the heavens unless there was just enough interference that it didn't matter.

We shall see.

HH