Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Northern beaches and a story.

Keeshond John

I live in a coastal town in northeastern Massachusetts. So I have the option of digging dirt or sifting sand. I tend to spend more time in the dirt mainly because I find more objects, both jewelery and coins. When I was beach hunting more I used a PI machine and still rarely found much of anything but highly corroded clad coins. I did find some rings but no more than I found at inland sights. My feeling is northern beaches (like I search) do not get nearly the traffic that southern all-year beaches get. Up my way we have maybe 50-60 truly nice beach days per year. On those few days there is lots of traffic but compared to Florida with its all year round weather and 300+ beach day traffic it's hard to compete for finds. Does anyone concur with this?

Now the story and how I got interested in metal detecting:

Fifteen years ago I was in a Key West bar and met an older sun-beaten man who was wearing all kinds of odd gold jewelery. I was in my late 30s at the time and he must have been about 60 - a very hard looking 60. We got to jabbering because I am a jeweler by trade and casually admired some of what he was wearing.

That's all it took. He gave me a history of every piece and how he found it. The conversation was started. Seems this man had moved to Sarasota in the middle 1960s and was once standing on the railing of a long pier that extended out into Tampa Bay up off Anna Marie Island. His wife at the time had her hands over the railing and lost a cheap silver watch and band combination into the drink. This man went back to his car and got a mask and snorkel and proceeded to dive into about 8 feet of water. He found the cheap watch but was stunned to find a gold necklace and several other articles including some badly ruined wrist watches that had been down a long time. He gave the silver watch back to his wife and spent several more minutes bobbing around. Guy told me he came up with at least 6 gold articles by just swimming along a short length of pier and simply taking things off the sandy bottom.

Then he got the lightbulb over his head and returned home for an aluminum pasta strainer. He went back at sunset and started working the sand along both sides of the pier with his strainer. The year was about 1963 he told me. Not many folks had water detectors then or even thought about gold hunting in the water. He was probably on virgin territory for he claims to have salvaged more than one hundred gold articles alone along the long pier in a week's time. This with a simple strainer and his bare hands while breath hold diving.

This man told me he sold some jewelry as it was and sold some for scrap value alone. Anyway, he make enough money to buy a new car from that one pier alone. He started to understand the magnitude of his find. The numbers of places along the Florida coast with docks and piers, mariners and such. He started an underground business on public sights and later started to offer his dive service at many old private establishments that catered to the water set. And he claims to have absolutely cleaned up. Of course he got into underwater detectors after asking around and finding a dealer in Miami who was carrying the early models. He never told this dealer how well he was doing. This man approached detecting like a fisherman went after bonefish. He studied people and how they grouped around waterfronts and docks, how they lost things.

The man in the bar told me he had virtually no competition for almost 10 years and by that time had earned enough money to buy a home in Key West and essentially retire. Never told me how much money he made, and I was not drunk enough to ask. He went on to say that he still metal detected in the water for fun, but today's (1995) hunting is a shadow of what it once was.

This guy was very believable. And he had the weird bling to back it up. I'd like to think this story he told me is true. I think it is.

Hehehe I grew up on Anna Maria Island! I wouldn't swim off the end of our piers for anything. I have seen hammerheads the size of small aeroplanes prowling off the ends, looking for throwbacks and wounded fish. Up until a recent catch in Boca Grande (just south of me) Anna Maria held the Worlds record for largest Hammerhead shark ever caught on a rod and reel. I have detected around those piers (on the shallow sides hehe) and have not found much. Nowadays, if you go out too far into the water along the pier there is a good chance someone will come out of the bait station and yell at you. Maybe your guy cleaned us out for all time. :thumbdown: But I like your story and take it for what it is. Whether its one told by a fisherman or treasure hunter we all enjoy lore and a glimpse of past triumphs.

Dig, my wife and I later drove out to Anna Maria Island when we explored that part of Florida. We ate at a place called Fast Eddie's that looked out over the bay and the long pier this man told us about. I think there was a small restaurant at the end of the very long pier. Or maybe it was a bait shop. I didn't eat there. But maybe I should have. Fast Eddie's was terrible. I'd have preferred dead herring bait to what we got served at Eddie's joint.

You should have seen the collection of gold junk this man had fastened around his neck. Like a huge charm bracelet with no theme, just rings with stones, lengths of gold braid, chains, pieces of pendants, all linked together. Mr. T would have blushed to look at the thing he had on his neck. On his wrists he carried many, many bracelets and loops of gold chain, a ring on every finger. Quite a sight. But if you know Key West. Well, you know.

Well Fast Eddies slogan was " Warm Beer, Lousy Food". Hehehehe before the time of Fast Eddies it used to be called the Anchorage. I and a few of my teenage friends spent a few summer nights busing dishes there. I'll never forget one night me and a buddy were taking a break out in back of the parking lot and this tourist waddled up to us and asked..."Hey is the food any good?" and without missing a beat I rang out "No....but the portions are small." hahaha me and my friend still chuckle about it. That building has been torn down and your standard Florida strip mall is in place now. A small boutique that sells overpriced tee shirts and 32 flavors of ice cream. I would welcome the crappy food back frankly.

Yeah you see all kinds of crazy characters in Key West....and the weirder the bar the weirder the storys seem to get. I used to go every summer for my birthday. I need to get back down there soon and do some lobstering and flyfishing....and of course try and make my own metal detecting stories.

Dig, I like to go to Key West once a year. It's like going to the zoo and looking at strange animals. They have a guy painted all silver at Mallory Square. You've probably seen him. Bet you could detect him at 50 yards. Somewhere on the trash scale.

On a serious note: Wouldn't you love to be set loose at Fort Jefferson for a month with your favorite machine? I vibrate just thinking about it.

I can only imagine what is waiting there to be dug up....but we have a fort like that here on Egmont Key...dates back to the Spanish American war, but, they wont let you md around it as it is a State Park and there is a lot of lost ordinance surrounding it. At least thats what im told.