Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Non VCO Gold Bug SE?

Deese

Wasnt there a first edition gold bug that did not have vco audio? I think I have read about it on this form. I think they were sold through Cabela's Does anybody use one?

Yes, it has version 2 software in it, the newer ones have 2.9 or 3 with the VCO in both modes (All Metal & DISC).

I noticed a few days ago that Cabela's was selling the Gold Bug Pro in a Gold Bug Plain Jane Box ...... ie, the box has a picture of the one that does not have the manual ground balance option, but the contents is the Pro with the 5" coil.

BH_Landstar_ said:
Yes, it has version 2 software in it, the newer ones have 2.9 or 3 with the VCO in both modes (All Metal & DISC).

I noticed a few days ago that Cabela's was selling the Gold Bug Pro in a Gold Bug Plain Jane Box ...... ie, the box has a picture of the one that does not have the manual ground balance option, but the contents is the Pro with the 5" coil.
So the older ones didnt have manual ground balance? They just had the ground grab button and thats what you got? I dont think I have ever adjusted mine manually.

I got a Pro from Cabela's, it has VCO in both modes and has version 3 software in it.

The older models that have software version 2 is the same as the SE / Pro but does not have the VCO in one of the modes.

Fisher ended the SE and released the Pro and DP (the DP is the pro with an 11" DD coil). At the same time that Fisher took the SE off the market they gave out details of the "Plain Jane" model that does not have the manual ground balance control, just the GG button in All Metal Mode. This model also does not have VCO in one of its modes, I can not remember which at this time.

Below are pictures of the current models. and the Pro that was / is sold at Cabela's.

First picture is of the "Plain Jane" model, this replaced the SE so to speak. If you look at the picture you will see that there is no manual ground balance on the face plate.

Second picture is of the model sold at Cabela's, but is also known as the SE / Pro, some have version 2, and 2.9 and 3 software in them.

The last picture is of the Pro, which is also the DP (the SE model ended up becoming the Pro model).

Hope that this helps.

If I have any details wrong here, I am sure Dave J will pipe in here and correct / add some more details if he feels that it is required.

I have the Gold Bug Pro with the 4.0 version software. I still haven't figured out how to open and use the GPS tracking mode yet.:cool:jk

Does anyone know of any other features and changes that the 4.0 version software has that the 2.0, 2.9, and 3.0 versions don't have?:lol:

I thought that ended yesterday! April 1st for the lurkers who buy non-FT machines.:clapping:

The first versions that went to cabellas had manual ground balance I have the version two It has both manual and auto tune. (purchased Dec of 09) The difference being it does not have vco in disc mode. I actually think it is easier to get some of the deeper targets as the saturated audio comes in nice and strong, no listening for whispers. I think it is a much faster hunter because of this. Also less mental fatigue spent in concentration for these whispers. If I want Vco I have it in all metal and at the push of a button with the pin point mode. I can get allot of info from the pinpoint after a year or more with it I can tell size and depth more accurately than the depth meter on my unit. Depth is always 1 to 2 inches deeper than my unit reports. I like FTP products but as far as I can tell they came up with the no ground balance version after the SE hit the market and just before the PRO. Seems like more than just a way to suit different price ranges but a way to justify charging more for the PRO and DP. Why would you back track and make a new production line just to take away a function from your units? I have not put mine head to head with the newer units but can duplicate all posted results as far as sensitivity and depth on targets. On one post back in the classic forum BH and I posted pics inside of the two units and They have added a resistor to the coil wiring internally of the se and pro models. It is my opinion this is cutting some of the signal down like putting a chock on the line. I can not run at 100% sensitivity unless far away from EMI sources, like some of the places I prospect. I get as much depth and sensitivity to small targets as others report at 50 to 60% gain levels. Either I have the odd machine that was tuned really hot or the newer versions have been dimmed down by that resistor on the coil.
Any one close to placerville care to do some head to heads with a G2 or a PRO I would appreciate that very much as it would help me to decide weather or not to upgrade to a newer version.
Not a challenge just a hunt and check each others signals to evaluate performance characteristics.
HH Everyone!

How can I know what version of software that I have? Is there a test that I can run?

Thanks

Dwayne2010 said:
How can I know what version of software that I have? Is there a test that I can run?

Thanks

Press and hold the pin point button at the same time you turn on the detector.

The the software version number will appear.

tabman said:
Dwayne2010 said:

Thanks

Press and hold the pin point button at the same time you turn on the detector.

The the software version number will appear.

The detector needs to be in DISC mode for this to work.

I kind of like the VCO. On the G2

I just checked mine following your guys instructions and I have version 2.9. Are there any disadvantages to 2.9 or is my machine fine as is? Does it cost to have it upgraded to version 3?

Hey Dwayne2010 --

Do you suspect you may have an issue with your machine? There are alot of differing claims about which version is "best," etc. I have heard some who feel that the 2.9 version, like you have, is particularly hot; some other early versions, not sure which ones, may have had some issues hitting larger silver, but Fisher/First Texas did a fix on those machines for the folks who had them. This has not been an issue with any of the more recent versions. Bottom line, if your machine will air-test silver coins at a respectable distance (I think the "flawed" ones wouldn't hit a quarter beyond like 4-6 inches in an air test), then you are good. If that simple air test gives you 9-10" on a quarter in disc mode, you are in good shape, and I would not give any more thought to "which version is better." If that air test does NOT allow you to hit a decent distance on a silver coin, you may have one of the units in need of the "fix;" otherwise, you are good to go -- with a GREAT machine!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I sent mine in last summer because I had one of the units that wouldn't hit the quarter. Heck, it would pick up pennies without issue lol. Its been 8 months and a long winter since I have been out with it and of course, I have been away from the forum that long as well, so I need to get re-acquainted with my machine. I am seeing a lot of new information here on the forum regarding these units. Looks like I got version 2.9 and the one that wasn't sold at cabellos.
Looking forward to getting out this year, although, with a baby on the way in June, I'm not sure how often I will be getting out.

CONGRATS on the baby!! That's awesome!

It won't take you long to get re-acquainted with your machine -- let us know what you start finding. With your 2.9 version getting the "silver fix," I expect you now have a FINE unit that will serve you well.

Steve

OK, so how many versions are there ?
I think mine might be 4
Unless I did something wrong ??

Dwayne2010...
Get your self a papoose and put that kid in it...take him or her everywhere...

LMAO, I plan on taking my soon to be wife and baby along, while I play in the proverbial sandbox!