Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Non-TID machine for coins?

mrburnett

Is it reasonable to think that a NON-TID machine is not the detector of choice for coins?
I realize that TID is not an exact science, but is it beneficial when it comes to hunting coins, or just a way to miss good finds?

Is there really that big of a difference between a 6.8KHz, 10KHz, or 14KHz when i comes to coins, especially silver?

I apologize if this has been covered before...

All Tesoros are great for finding coins and not having a visual display means nothing. Perhaps the greatest coin hunter in history was a fellow named Paul Campbell who found over 221,000 coins with a early model Silver Sabre. This came from the Sept 1999 Lost Treasure magazine. Tesoros have a very precise discrimination knob and with little practice this knob can be fingered to see where nickles, zincs, and silver comes in or the signal breaks up. I have had every TID detector made and they were all fooled by certain metals. Bottle caps, screwcaps, beavertail tabs, and etc. have fooled all of the top end detectors I have owned. I really do prefer a knob and my hearing to discriminate junk. One of the first detectors I ever owned was a Bandito umax and I used it so much that coins of any denomination were no match for it. Experience with a detector means the world. If I had kept that original Bandito, I have no doubt that it would have paid for itself many times over. I found my oldest coin with a Ciblola and even with the bigger 8x9 coil, I found the 1780 reale buried in junk because of Tesoros great discrimination. Put a small coil on a Tesoro and you will have a great coin shooter. I have never had any detector that pinpoints as well as a Tesoro. After you train your ears, you will be able to judge the depth to within an inch and when you get good at this, you will know whether to grab your digger or screwdriver to retrieve the coin. I really don't know much about the technical aspect of detector design, but I do know what works and the bottom line is the Tesoros all work very well. R.L.

I mostly use mine for relics but it work's great for coins. I set disc-1 on foil and disc-2 to break-up on a nickel. Then if I get a solid tone on disc-2 I turn disc-1 up to see if I have a coin or something else. I pretty much dig everything in the pulltab range because if I don't I will miss some minnies. Most buttons come in just under a nickel. I use the 5.75 coil on it and it is a VERY SOLID machine for ANY hunting. I think the Cibola is just as good, just different.

Personally, I don't think you will find anything with the Silver or Golden that the Cibola would miss or mis-ID. That is not to say you shouldn't buy one... you should! That is one of the joys of the hobby. Detecting is more than hunting, it is also having different machines. I have foue machines right now and I like them all.

Julien

I use the Vaquero and the above statement holds true. You need to know your machine, practice, practice......

I use both type of machines but I mostly use and prefer the non-TID machines. When I do use a TID machine, the audio is my decision to dig. I might look at the display afterwards just for grins, but the audio is where it's at for me.
So either machine works for me - as long as I use headphones and not depend on the display.

Here's my 2 zincs on the ideas of frequency and TID... TID units are most accurate at shallow depths,
simply because depth decreases target info. and the circuit's ability to analyze that info.
Audio ID is ultimately better at HEARING a target but not necessarily noting it's ID, although TONE
ID will often prove more accurate for ID than will TID, but only within certain parameters of depth
and target size, the old "trade-off" bugaboo of all detectors.

A LOWER frequency ( 3 to 12 kHz) will always penetrate soils more deeply than higher frequencies
will, especially in high mineral soils, but will not be as responsive to small lower conductives (gold items)
as the higher freq's will. But high freq's won't penetrate as deeply.

Therefore, Silver will be found more easily and deeply with a lower frequency because it's a higher
conductor. In fact, Silver will respond quite well with most detectors. It's lower "findability" has
more to do with it's scarcity than for any other reason in these days of often searched sites.. In
the early days of detecting ( 30 to 40 years ago ), Silver was quickly and easily retrieved, which
has greatly influenced it's present scarcity.:shocked:

Good luck in all your searches!
..W