Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No signal on a gold chain

Jeff of NH

I haven't had my SE long enough to know it and I understand Explorers have a high learning curve but why can I pick up a gold ring but absolutely nothing on a gold chain? What am I doing wrong?

Any type of chain is almost impossible to get a signal from. It has to do with the way that the field goes around the links.

Ed's got it right. A large chain should give a signal especially one wadded up. The thin ones are hard to pick up because the detector is seeing the individual links instead of the whole. It is easier to pick up a clasp of something attached to the chain. Even if you could pickup a particular chain, it is hard to get much depth when trying to find chains.

Jeff....try picking up a cut gold ring on the detector...I found one in my apt. when I moved in and it was white gold but could not get anything on detector....not untill someone here told me to press the ring together to get a reading.....poof....when I pressed the ends together I got a reading on Explorer XS....thats weird.....its got something to do with the eddys...:shrug: what ever that means....and yes all the detector sees is like just one link and not them all.........so if its thin chain...zoinks......I have found a few but it was because it had a good clasp or pendant on it....just wanted to share.....I am still a bit confused myself.....:stars:

Thanks for all the imput, your right about the small, fine chains. A friend found a fair sized one and he said that it was just luck he got a faint hit on it. It pays to dig everything sometimes. Jeff