Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NO SEEUMS?

YAKE

I've only started detecting this year and as a newbie I'm having a great time at my local San Diego beaches. However once in a while I dig something I never see I know its on the surface because of my Sovereign GT sound and can pinpoint it and move it around on packed damp sand but I can't SEE IT and give up, when I have found these hard to see items it's always been junk like a rivet from jeans or small aluminium scrap etc. Do you give up like me? Or keep working the find till you see it?
Thanks
Jerry

Get a decent magnet and eikther attach it to your scoop or shovel, or just put it in your pocket to work through the sand and debree. I use one regularly and it sort out things like nails ans taples that have rusted and turned the color of surrounding soil.

Mike

PS: Harbor Freight has several tupes and sizes of magnets or you can locate some excellant rare earth magnets at online sites.

You will get better at it. I use the divide and conquer technique. In other words, I don't keep looking in the main pile all the time. If it is a small target I will take the main scoop of sand and dump it out next to the hole. Then I'll pinpoint again and try to take as little sand from the pile as I can and still retrieve the target. Once you have the target with very little sand in the scoop, shake it out gently over a relatively undisturbed section of sand. If it falls thru the scoop you will probably be able to eyeball the target as there will not be much dug sand to hide it. It is tough sometimes but I hate to leave a target behind.

The following is an absolutely true story of what can happen if you leave targets behind. Last summer I was working the wet sand and noticed a detectorist had been there before me. Just out of curiousity I checked a few of the piles that he or she had left behind. To my surprise there were sometimes coins left in his piles. So from then on I started checking all the piles that he had dug up. One day I got a little gold ring out of one of the piles. Then right after retrieving that ring I walked about six feet to another one of his piles. You guessed it...another small gold ring. Two in a row. I don't know who the guy is, but he has been a God Send for me.

Harvdog

well if you are running a GT you dont have to worry as it will null on any steel/iron.if its a low tone i always look for it as it might be a diamond ear ring stud yes it can be a pain but iv found for me its easy ,after you have it out of the hole,just keep grabbing a hand full of sand/dirt where the tone is and wave it under the coil to see if you have it in your hand.make sure you dont have a ring on that hand.LOL! but in the water is another story.iv spent too many hours chaseing a split shot or a chip of pull tab that falls through the scoop.after about 6 scoops i just move on.

I have in the past found some nice earring studs with and without stones by not giving up. Once in Clearwater beach i chased a dimond stud erring for 10 minutes before I had to carry the scoop full of sand to the beach to sift thru it, but on the other hand I have done the same for a small lead shot or rivet head. So just go with your gut. If possible to use a small piece of screen to make the holes smaller in your scoop that will help. Good Luck and HH

Not sure what your using to recover with, if you have a scoop, you might do as I did, I put a small screen mesh on the bottom 1/4th of my scoop that catches tiny objects, I use it to trap stud earrings, but it also catches the back of earrings too...