Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No Manual Ground Balance for the DeLeon?

zeb

I was just reading MarlboroMan's comment on one of my other posts and he claims the DeLeon is a supreme machine.

I was wondering why it has no manual ground balance? Is this really needed for this machine?

Please comment and share your experiences with the Deleon.

My mate has one and he thinks that its great for our fields and the Roman and Celtic sites that we search over here, the display is a good size but from what he tells me he goes by the sound a lot more than the screen and as for the manual ground ballance do you need it to find great coins like this Celtic silver coin.
I use a Lobo Super Track and my other mate uses a Cibola and the guy who found the silver coin uses the Hawkeye on the same field we all find the same things and on checking signals with each other we have found that they all hit the same targets that are in the ground.

Thanks much for your reply!

One reason I'm considering the Hawkeye is I have low back problems and I thought maybe the screen or meter readout might help ID targets better so I don't have to bend and dig so much trash.

Last summer I used a Minelab Excalibur and was constantly digging false signals and I wasn't impressed at all with its depth. I could hardly move 5 feet and I'd dig 20 pieces of trash. And as for its slow......ah, maybe its better I don't continue. Don't ask me what I think of the Minelab system :nono:

Anyway, I've sold the Minelab and now trying to figure out which model Tesoro I want.

Thanks much for your advice.

thats a beautiful old coin! Someday, you need to make a post on how you decide to hunt what fields tp hunt, and how open the farmers are to letting people cruise their fields.

Thanks!

J.

preset setting is for the ground environment you're hunting.

Where I usually hunt it is very mineralized and the DeLe

You WILL NOT have any "ground balance issues" with the DeLeon. Turn it on, make a few small adjustments and you're off. I used to think that a detector was not a detector without "manual ground balance" but the way technology has progressed within the past 5 or so years, manual ground balancing a metal detector is a thing of the past. I challenge any person on this board to plant a silver dime at 9" and a pull tab at 3" and run your machine over this target. With the DeLeon, you will most certainly read silver dime @ 9 inches. I've proven this over and over to many of my friends with their thousand dollar wonder machines. Anyways, manual ground balancing is certainly becoming a thing of the past and is most certainly overrated. I have 2 gallon jugs full of minnie balls and grape shot that I have dug up right along side of friends who were too busy getting their "manual ground balancing" adjustments just right, constantly fooling with their dials....waste of time for me. Been their, done that, I'll take my DeLeon anyday over ANY other machine on the current market.

I'll never forget printing off pages and pages of "programs" for my Whites detector, putting them in little notebooks, taking pages into the field and programming that machine just so-so, constantly scrolling up and down, adjusting this and that. All the while wishing I had my DeLeon back. I came home that day with just the bottom portion of my pocket full of keepers. Simplicity is the key and DeLeon hit the nail on the head. BTW...my cousin has the mighty Cortes and he's trying to get me to swap my DeLeon for the Cortes and said he'd throw in an old .22 pistol! I said no way....hehe

Ground balance has everything to do with the ground you are hunting on, a pre-set will not do well over varying bad ground conditions. Taking a pre-dug object and passing a detector over it is not the answer! Don

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. No offense intended but your post is very similar to one that triggered a long running discussion on a now defunct forum 7 or 8 years ago. By the way, the person who argued manual ground balance wasn't needed then now says it's the only way to go:).

No, that person back then wasn't me. I'm just an old duffer who's trying to figure out what's happening today. Back in the 60's to about 80's we never heard of such things.

I've mainly been posting comments given to me to see what the reponse is going to be. And also, at least it gets some commenting action going :argue:

The personal comments I'm getting back on this issue are about 80/20. That is, about 80% say a manual balance is essential. However, the 20% are also very convincing. I'll experiment on my own to see what happens. That way I know for sure.

Hi Monte,

If preset ground balance detectors are so limited due to mineralization changes, why do so many companies make them? Some of the top models are presets! Are companies like Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro etc., purposely turning out handicapped machines at the expensive of the THer?

The whole thing doesn't make good business sense to me.

It was directed at MarlboroMan. I really shouldn't have posted it but it is very similar to the earlier post I mentioned. As for manual or preset ground balance, go to the link below and read what the man who built the first manual and preset ground balance circuits has to say. He is also responsible for auto ground balance, discrimination, ID meters, depth reading, and notch--most of the features we take for granted on modern detectors. It's a little on the technical side, and includes some info about coils, but it's definitive on why manual ground balance is preferable to preset (fixed) ground balance.

http://www.jb-ms.com/Baron/gb.htm

JB

You made the following statement: "You WILL NOT have any "ground balance issues" with the DeLeon."

That is correct ONLY if you continue by adding .. if the factory preset GB is adequate for the ground mineralization in your area."

You also stated:"I used to think that a detector was not a detector without "manual ground balance" but the way technology has progressed within the past 5 or so years, manual ground balancing a metal detector is a thing of the past." But that is also not correct. Note that Tesoro makes models with manual Ground Balance, and these are considered to be their top-performing, more versatile models. There hasn't been any progression in technology in the past 5 years or so that would make any difference other than the fact that we have seen more models with some form of autotracking GB or some that will electronically adjust the GB on demand rather than require an operator to turn a knob and make the adjustment.

What I have seen in the past several years are factory preset models that have a more functional GB adjustment than I used to see, and this allows them to work 'OK' in the challenging mineralized locations.

Most of the places I hunt around this part of NW Oregon the DeLe

Just want to know if i am correct.

The De Leon and Cortes both have a preset groundbalance in the Disc mode ????
So i only can adjust the groundbalance for the Cortes in the All Metal mode ???
Asking this because over here we have a total different way of using our detectors, due to our rich history and bad iron infested fields, so nobody over here hunts in the all metal mode,so for us Tesoro or other brands could just produce metaldetectors without all metal or the notch feature (using this you will nock out the hammered silver coins), because nobody will use it.

Please help me out Monte !!! because that is what i am telling people over here in the Netherlands.