Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickel response-Question

Ky Pastfinder

I am a long time user of an Explorer XS and Explorer II. Love the machine but have had very little success in finding older, deeper nickels. Some success with shallow nickels down to about 3" but nothing deeper or older. Question is; where do those older-deeper nickels respond on the Smart Screen? Should I open a foil "window" or just go to Iron Mask? Could those Older-deeper nickels be responding like iron-foil? Showing My ignorance here. Any ideas would help.

A good many of the older nickels are very bouncy. They hit around 11 06 digital for me, which is a little off from normal. Also i get several in the lower right corner. I have my thereshold tone set at 8 and i can normally tell a deeper nickel from a beaver tail or pulltab by the tone and the depth. Im thinking Mike Moultrey posted a screen showing this some time ago.

Dew

I agree with Dew. I hunt in IM ferrous tones and I find that the deeper older nickels have a different tone than most other "garbage". If you're in an area that has deeper, older targets it's a good practice to dig most signals until you develop a "gut" about the tones. I have found many shield, V and buffalos with my SE. (admittedly moreso as I got used to the machine which I've had for two years)
Bruce in Ct

I switch back and forth between smart screen and digital, a nickel will read 5-6-or 7 on digital depending on depth. A V shield will read 18.
Good Luck HH

most nickles i've found while using digital are around 6. never found a shield nickle but have found that v nickles will read lower, 18 seems to be too high of a reading.

Thanks everyone, This helps a lot. I think I'll open a window along the bottom edge of the screen to the top of the learned nickel window. If still no success, I,ll go to IM and dig all responses along the bottom edge. Eventually I'll figure it out. Side Note; I just ordered an F-5 today! Might make a good backup to the EXP-2. Guess I'll park Myself next to the mailbox for awhile.

I find a few nickels... but its kind of like finding newer wheats. I want to find them, but they arent really worth much. Those that hit in the lower right will bounce toward their normal locations... kind of back and forth. Fishers are good machines... but they dont handle the EMI as well as the 2 nor will you get the depth. They may be hard to learn.... but there isnt a machine on the market that can brag of finding more silver than the Explorers. I like digging old coins so the SE is working great for me and right now its doing a bang up job on the beach.

Dew

I certainly agree that the EXP 2 is a silver hound. I'm hoping the F-5 will be a little easyer on my back and shoulder. I've worked in a factory since 1970 and the EXP wheres tho old shoulder out! If nothing else, the 5 will be fun to play with.

I have found very deep nickels as low as 03 conductive (digital), especially Shield. However, as someone stated, most come out pretty corroded/pitted.