Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickel found with error on date anbody seen this before?

steveholdem

Dug this up the other day it really looks like a u at all angles even the top of the u . Not really sure has anybody seen this kind of error before?

humm might want to send it off to a coin grading house??
looks like a u ...
good luck let us know what you find out..
john

n/t

I thought the same but i looked really close, best way to really tell is take it to get looked at really good the shape at the top of the u it's like lines on both sides of the opening making it a u but I could be wrong. It seems like i find all the strange stuff?????

Hi Steeve; Strange coin. I don't think it is an error.If you look at your pictures yuo will see a line extending at 270 degrees from the bottom of the date line in question. Second is again at the top of the date in question you can see a few "bubbles" , my word, in extending from one side of the U going from right to left in the manner of closing the top of the U in order to form the number 9 in the date. My guess is that it is not an error but a very badly corroded 1981 nickel. I hope this helps. Let us know ok. PEACE:RONB

Thanks For The Info I Will Let You all Know. This Has to be corroded really bad, Really can not tell .I am Leaning more on the side of it being a 9 though. Just because i have never seen or heard of a error like this ?????

Hi Sreve; I looked in the Yeoman Red Book and there is no mention of anything like that at all as well. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

I've dug lots of coins that have had some part of the lettering or date worn away. Seems like a pretty common occurrence to me especially with the debased alloys in use in modern coins.

HI SteveP; Funny thing is the Mint takes "great" pains to design coins that will last.Thats why the Jefferson Nickel is s popoular. Go figure. PEACE:RONB.