Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nice find for a piece of NZ History

kiwigirl

As New Zealand is no where as old as most other countries, this was a nice find out :detecting: yesterday. No longer shiny brass, but still all in one piece and can be read. 1895 New Zealand Volunteers Button.
I found out some information on it from this web-site on buttons. I have added the link incase anyone else is interested.

In 1895 a universal pattern button was introduced for all volunteers except the Naval Artillery. This button was brass with the words

Nice work kiwigirl ! I'd say you're kicking some major a** for just starting out. Life's a bit too busy for me to get out and hunt right now so I'm almost envious but I'm stoked for you. Keep em coming !
HH
Scott

Captain Cook mapped the coastline of NZ in 1769 on his first of three circumnavigations. On the third, his navigator was the soon to be at the time, the infamous Captain Bligh. It was during the third voyage that Captain Bligh was killed by the Hawaiians and Bligh finished the third circumnavigation. The Brits maintained a colony in NZ for a long time. I would suppose that Mutton is a delicacy there as it was in England. The smell of it still haunts me after all of these years.

Hi arizonaames.
Yes, we are only about 250 yrs old, don't think I'll be digging anything up from the Romans or Saxtons etc.:sadwalk:
Why does the smell of mutton haunt you, do you not like it?
It is quite expensive here for a country that has millions of sheep, heaps always available in the markets though. As farm kids we were raised on beef and mutton, so never really thought of it as a delicacy. I suppose if it was hard to get then it would be.

Regards :wave:

Very nice find! It's wonderful to find a piece of history from your country. It cleaned up nice and you're on your way to more great finds. Thanks for sharing and sure wish we could get out, but it's going to be quite some time. There's still snow on the ground here! You go girl! HH, Nancy

Nice find & it looks like you are learning that MXT quick. As for mutton, nothing better slow cooked in a dutch oven for about an hour then turn up the heat to get all of that fat crisp.

BTW, I am Saxon and still have an Irish accent. The Saxons were the original English before the Normans and Vikings invaded England. The Saxons fled to Ireland and in turn brought their culture and religion (Catholicism) to Ireland in 1044. The Celts were worshipping trees and devils, at the time. I would love to visit NZ. The pictures that I have seen are beautiful.

I enjoy history arizonaames, unfortunatly my memory does not share that same enjoyment, I am so bad on remembering places, dates and names. How these historians remember everything, amazing.
I am doing my family tree, my dad is from Plymouth, Devon, but I won't start on the genealogy. Hopefully I won't have to go back to the 5th century Saxton, 9th century Viking and 10th century Anglo-Saxtons. It's hard enough getting back to 1800. :rolleyes:

Regards

Hey arizonaames I'm Viking but don't have the Norwegian accent. Just wanted to apologize for the whole invading England thing. BTW- Some of us still think trees are pretty cool. I've also come to realize that you can learn a lot more in the forest than you can sitting in a church....and the trees never ask for money either !
HH
Scott

I was just making a tongue in cheek joke but as long as you mention it, yeah I like to live life by that edict. That is when I'm not worshipping devils...pal.

Kia Ora Kathleen. Nice find. You should have some old cricket grounds near you. You will find silver florins etc but they get quite deep there. Trust me....

The Panther