Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newby finds first Indain Head Penny

I decided to take my Vaquero instead of my Tejon over to my Dad's trashy yard next door to me. I found a couple of 1960's nickles ( I love finding nickles because I didn't find many with my Cortes , plus it means that I'm not missing much) , a modern lincoln cent , and a coin so dirty that I couldn't identify it right away. I was just hoping for a wheatie , but when I started to rub the dirt off of it I saw that it was an Indian Head Penny. I found it next to my Dad's driveway at 4' deep and there was a large rusty nail in the plug with it. Thumbs up to my Vaquero to be able to hit the penny being so close to a large rusty nail. When it got it inside and cleaned it up it turned out to be a 1901 in good+ condition. If wheaties get me excited imagine what an Indain Head did for me. I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited when it come to finding old coins. It's my first Indain Head ( that I've found with a detctor - I found a 1897 Indian Head in my basement insulating a crawl space ), but I've only been detecting since this spring. I just wanted to share my story of my first Indain Head cent with all of you. Also , earlier in the day when I took my daughter to a new park that opened this spring in town , there was an older guy swinging a whites XLT in the playground area. I made a little small talk with him about detecting. The playground area is covered in wood chips and after he left I took a walk around the play area and I could tell everywhere he dug an item. He didn't even take the time to fill in his holes , which didn't take much effort since they were wood chips , so I went around and filled in all the holes that he dug. If he doesn't take the time to fill in woodchip holes I can only image what it looks like after he's done digging in grassy areas. I wish I would have noticed he didn't fill his holes before he left , or I would of had a polite conversation with him about removing trash and filling in holes ( code of ethic's ) and how it gives metal detecting a bad name when people don't take the time to cover their tracks. Ohh well , maybe I'll run into him again. Keep em' beepin!! Craig

Way to go Craig,

With my Vaquero I found a tiny 14k gold round thing.

Only weighed 0.80 grams.

It was about 4" deep and close to iron

playground equipment.. Amazing..!!!

I have yet to find an Indian Head penny.

I like the fact that you seem to have a code of ethics

instilled in you.

I saw a guy with a Whites. He was leaving holes in the

grass in a park where everyone knows I metal detect.

It had rained and all the dirt washed into the grass.

I had to go into the woods with a bucket and get dirt to

fill the holes back in.

I haven't seen him sense.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

Howdy Craig

You are on the right trail for finding older coins. Nice save!!
To keep finding the oldies, you need to hunt where the oldies were lost.
Good Luck in your adventures.........Hombre

Congrats on your first IH!! That is a great coin to find! I have yet to find one. I am also glad to hear you filled the tot lot holes. I hate hearing stuff like that. Good on ya, Beale.

A quick post from work on lunch break. Good job on your good deed also. Yours took much moe work than mine. We are already limited on where we can detect , so i hate seeing people give our hobby a bad name by not filling holes , leaving junk they dug , ect.... I'd like to keep the areas open where we can hunt , and not have rotten apples spoil it for us. thanks for your reply. Craig

Great job with the nickels, Indian and filling holes! In two years I have found exactly one Indian. If you are finding nickels, eventually you will find some good jewelry! Keep at it!
tvr