Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie's nightmare on pull-tabs

Our money and pull tabs come in at different VDI #s so most of us cannot be of much help. The best that can be said is that you have the best coils and if you get in country to the gold fields, you will find nuggets in NZ with the MXT. I use the 6x10dd for nugget hunting with the SAT set all the way up to hyper-sat and the gain at about 12. Enjoy. You have a very good detector

We share the same problem here in Canada Kathleen. Best adivse I can offer is get a good pinpointer and hunt with a screwdriver to pop those targets quickly. Digging plugs takes time and energy.
My numbers are all over the place beer caps can read 80-81. Good numbers that are deep are always worth going after. Dan

Thanks arizonaames, I do intend to join my partner with my MXT on his trips out with his White's GMT. He goes at first light and not home until nearly dark, walking way back in the areas of dense bush, creeks and water-races over bed-rock, not sure on how I will go, but one can only give it a try.
He does come out with some nice pieces though for his effort. He uses his 4x6" shooter DD coil to get around the rocky bottom of the creeks, he said he wouldn't be without it for gold detecting.
I'll up-load a couple of photos, one taken of a area that are places you have to try and get back into, and one of his finds, a gold nugget sitting right on the surface of the bed-rock craddled in a little bit of a hollow. The end of the tweezers will give you a little perspective of size, no big nugget, but a nice small one.
Some closer & shorter trips to home I have really enjoyed walking along watching how it's done, so now I'll be able to give it a try.

Regards, Kathleen.

Thanks Dan. It is very time comsuming digging all those targets and making sure it's done correct so nothing damaged or dies. I had not thought of a screwdriver. I got my pinpointing pretty much correct. I have just sent away for one of the Leschie saw tooth digging tools, I am told it's better to use than a trowel & a knife.

Regards, Kathleen.

Hey Kiwigirl,
I'm pretty new to detecting myself but from what you're writing it sounds to me like you'll do great. You have the right equipment and attitude to have as much success as anyone. Try not to get too discouraged by the pull tabs, they're just a test to separate the real hunters from the rest. You're country is very beautiful and scenic so I would think you'll find "treasure" every time you get out to hunt, regardless of what you dig up.
HH
Scott

Thanks Scott. Yes, we do have a beautiful scenic country, the South Island especially, it's great to get out-doors and enjoy it.
I love my photography as well, so it would be great to join both in-together. Though I might have to look at getting a mule to carry everything around. :lol:

Regards, Kathleen.

Hi Kathleen! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're doing quite well and there's nothing like using the MXT. The more you use it, the more you'll like it. Practice practice practice! Thanks for the pictures. Larry and I would go out for the day and also have a nice picnic lunch. Many times we would be coming home with the sun setting in the horizon. What wonderful days. Can't wait to see some of your finds. Good luck and HH, Nancy

Nice, Kathleen,

It sure is fun seeing that yellow color when you hit on a gold picker. I was getting 1/2 grain pickers with the MXT in NV, USA. BTW, my grandfather is buried in Christchurch, NZ....jim

Dam I got all excited when I read that you were on the west coast & stated that you found a Tui beer cap. Man I was so excited that Tui had made its way to the US. Then you bummed me out when I saw you were in NZ. Tui is the best beer I have ever had & sure wish I could get it here in the US.
Ok enough on the beer. This might help you. I set my MXT discrimination at just below 5 when I am looking for gold rings and nickles with the gain at 9 you will still pick up pull tabs but a solid 20 vdi is a nickle you will have to play around to ID your coins.
If you do not want to hear the pull tabs set your disc. above 5, when I am looking just for silver I set it at 8. again here in the US set above 5 I will still get good readings on penny's, dimes & quarters. I always hunt in relic mode as I find that it gives me more depth. As for the bottle caps they do come in at the same vdi as silver so ya got to dig. Sounds like you are on your way to finding some great stuff, the MXT is awesome & once you learn it you will love it. I have had mine for 2 &1/2 years & I am still learning little ways to find the good stuff.

Great, thanks for that bula. Your suggestions are sort of confirmation about what we worked at this afternoon, my partner was out helping me sort out my pull-tab dilemma. I was in C & J mode though, not relic.
The amount of beer tops around this old race-course you would have thought they would have drunk the Breweries dry. :drinking:

Discrimination up to 5 and tried the gain at 9 to10 (around the preset) this time instead of up in the +1, 2 & 3s and I did find the sound softer, not so much static and chatter.
All we were picking up for a few hours still was pull-tabs and bottle tops that came in around the +30 to +45 to +72 and depths of 2 to 4. Most we thought sure to be coins at 4 with half to full blocks, though the blocks did move around alot up and down the graph, so the machine was unsure. I still have a bit to learn on these.:rolleyes:
Took a reading for the ground mineralization and it was high, 79 to 80.

I got to learn though that a bottle-top giving high numbers like +60, +72 when pin-pointing were mostly only at a depth of 1 to 2, the bottle-tops don

Sound's like your getting the swing of things. Just another tid bit, listen to the sound of the pull tabs, they should be a little deeper or lower pitch & crackle a bit. The vdi will also mover around on most of then where as on a coin the vdi is solid & the sound crisp and higher pitched.

Thanks bula, :thumbup: outside on the table passing objects past the coil, discrimination of 5 as you mentioned, no sound or very faint crackle with the round pull-tab, but the threepence gave a good sound, full square and reading +32 to +35. The square pull-tab still gives off a sound, so yes I will have to do better on learning those sounds.
Will that alter when you get back to detecting in the ground and not air-tests though?

Excellent, can't wait to get back out on the old race-course and see if I can walk all over the pull-tabs without them pulling me up.:happy:
Regards

It should be about the same, & ya there are some tabs that you can't get rid of. If there is one thing that I find common with a tab is that for the most part the vdi will jump around where on a coin the vdi seems to lock in at a certain number. I however have found several tabs that were cut in half that hit a solid 20, this is where I find all of my nickels.

Thanks bula for those tips, i ran :detecting: pretty close to your suggestions and I had a better day today, :thumbup: know where near as many pull-tabs today.
If I did get a high reading, solid sound and a bit of depth and it was a pull-tab, it was a piece of one as you mentioned, or square one, hardly any whole ones.
In coin & jewelry mode I ran the gain at 10 and discrim at just over 5, listening for broken sounds or seeing the discrim ID all over the place with only part blocks, I left most of those signals, but ones I was not sure of got dug. Got a couple lead-heads off nails giving good depth and high numbers, bottle-tops, a couple of pieces of foil and just a few pull-tabs. Reading for the ground mineralization was high at 70 to 80, so a bit of crackling in my background tone.

Amongst that lot though, I DID STILL GET A THREEPENCE, it came in at a fairly solid sound, +35, depth was for 6. :bouncy:
Also 5 sixpence's reading up in the +63, +83, +90, solid sounds, good depths, but not always solid blocks. Then one I'm not sure what it is, tokin or check or something for Luna Park Restaurant Heliopolis, on the back the number 2. I put it on the whatsthis forum to see if anyone may be able to help, my searches on the web have not given me anything exact for it yet.

So I had a great afternoon, I'll try and get some pics on in the next couple of days of the silver.
Regards:wave:

Kiwigirl, sounds like you have a good start, I am still learning little tricks for the mxt & how to set it just right for what I am going to hunt. If I want gold I set the disc at 4, if I am looking for deep coins in less trashy areas I crank up the gain to 10 & set the disc at 3 & listen for those faint high signals swinging low & slow. If all I want is silver set the disc at 7 & go for it. Keep at it & you will be a master in no time.