Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pastorals

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to detecting. I'm doing a lot of web browsing looking at detectors but I'm really out of my league.
I always tend to bite off more than I can chew. Example; I've been looking at Tesoro's Golden uMax as well as Garrett's AT Pro. Are these machines more than a newbie can handle?
If so, what would you recommend.
My searching has me leaning toward the Tesoros because of their solid reputation, but I'm open to other ideas.

TIA
Alan

Welcome Alan

Tesoro detectors no matter which one you choose will serve you well. None of the Tesoro line up would be out of your league. Once you decide to take the plunge
and purchase a detector some time should be spent reading and rereading the manual and learning the basic features you will use in the field. Make sure you use headphones
for two reasons. One is that you will hear subtle differences as you encounter different items in the ground even tho all but the Golden are single tone detectors and two, it will extend
the battery life of those in your detector. (Which is incredible to begin with)!!

You named a couple of detectors but didn't state what kind of detecting you would be doing. If you want to mainly coin shoot the Golden is a great choice but if you want to
hunt relics or go for deeper older coins there are other Tesoros that may suit what you want to do even better.

I cannot speak of the AT Pro as I have never used one but after reading other users comments it would seem to have a bit more of a learning
curve. But again that is a choice you will have to make.

Being a user of many makes and models of detectors over the years I can only state that the Tesoro brand has been the most fun and rewarding for me personally and
know that should I ever have a question or need help, Tesoro's phone line is always open (during business hours of course). Tesoro's lifetime warranty and customer
service cannot be beat by any other manufacturer. Understand that I'm not saying others are bad.

This forum is filled with devoted users with far more experience than I that are willing to answer pretty much all the questions you could ask.

Hope this helps, welcome again to the forum and hobby.

Happy Hunting :detecting:
Gary

A Tesoro Vaquero is liked by a lot of people. Including myself.:) It may be the only detector that you ever need.

Thanks for the replies guys. Gary, sorry I didn't tell me planned use for my machine. I would begin with an interest in coin shooting as well as hunting relics.
After I gain some ability with the machine I might go out in different directions, who knows$

Alan

If you are Coin Shooting I would suggest the Old Golden Umax, did not like the new version, or the Deleon. I would like to try the Cortes but my Deleon is doing great. I even got a new Digger because the ground is really hard here and my old Digger had a blade that was just a little short. at 4 inches. The new one has a blade that is 6 inches and I am using all 6 inches on most holes.

I hate Head Phones they are hot and cumbersome, unfortunately they are really needed. The Best price I found was from American Detector in Texas 817-498-7100. These are made for Detectors and have volume controls as well as Stereo or Mono. You will need the Volume controls. At $20 bucks you can't go wrong.

You will also need a good Digger. Here our ground laughs at those little Blade Diggers. Our ground is extra hard. It is like digging in a Crushed Rock Driveway. I bought this Digger from Kellyco and I am happy with it but I did have to modify it before I liked it. This is a quality Digger and I bent it just a little. Bending it required a Torch. total cost was $50. I saw one from Predator Tools that looked good as well.
050311004.jpg

I also made this one from a Straight Claw Hammer that has served me well for years but it was not easy to make.
032911002.jpg

This requires Hardened Steel to be welded to the Claw and at 4 inches it is just a little short.

You will also need a Pin Pointer. I have a Whites Bullseye II which works but from what I see the Garrett may be better. Mine requires you to touch a coin before it alerts. On bigger objects it gives an inch notice but coins require a touch before it alerts.

You will also need a Pouch and I bought a Leather Carpenter's tool pouch for 15 dollars that is serving me well.

Happy Hunting

pastorals said:
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to detecting. I'm doing a lot of web browsing looking at detectors but I'm really out of my league.
I always tend to bite off more than I can chew. Example; I've been looking at Tesoro's Golden uMax as well as Garrett's AT Pro. Are these machines more than a newbie can handle?
If so, what would you recommend.
My searching has me leaning toward the Tesoros because of their solid reputation, but I'm open to other ideas.

TIA
Alan

Good morning! Tesoro makes an awesome machine for sure!
If you will Email me: socialmedia@kellycodetectors.com I'll put you in touch with one of our Factory Trained, certified Metal Detector Experts who will work with you and answer all your questions. Kellyco is the Largest and Oldest metal detector Dealer in the world. We've been in business over 50 years and we are a sponsor on this forum. In addition, Kellyco