Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie with ace 250 with questions

midnight rider

hey guys i have tried lots of machines since january and decided to try the ace with all 3 coils i hunt mostly lots in town and sometimes plowed fields. my question is how well does this machine do in iron and trash and will it go pretty deep in a field with the large coil thanks hal

Does great in trash with the sniper coil..
With the big coil, mine sniffs a quarter at
about 10-11 inches air testing. Will vary in
ground. Also, the faster you swing, the deeper
it goes.
MK

Works fine in the trash especially with the Sniper. The big coil will get you way down there. The 250 is no slouch on depth. It will keep up with the big boys.

Bill

I have figured out pinpointing with the stock coil, but have not used the large coil yet. I use the drag back method for pinpointing with the stock coil, does this also work with the large coil?? Anyone's advice on the large coil would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

I have the Ace 250 Compendium, a collection of helpful tips and info, gathered from here and other sources. If you want a copy, just PM me.

Yep, the large coil pinpoints the same as the
stock coil. They are exactly the same, except
for size. The sniper points in the middle at
the "X". The sniper is a different animal vs
the other two coils.
MK

Just a quick note on my experiences with ACE 250 pinpointing, the "drag back method" only works well if the target is relatively shallow, I'd say within two inches of the surface. Otherwise, I use the side-to-side, then up-and-down (then usually side-to-side again) method to center the coil over the target. You may need to use this method more with the large coil, since it will find deeper targets than the standard coil.

I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Generally from surface to maximum 4" down the back pull trick works. Deeper targets, I think you pull back and dig at the center when the signal stops. I have mostly been checking school tot lots with the ACE. We haven't got much rain lately, so the ground is like a rock....easy to dig in the mulch. I am ready to start using the larger coil and I don't want to dig huge holes in the ground to find the target (I know a probe would help, but don't have one yet)so your tips are very much appreciated.
Jason

I can tell you this , the ace with the sniper is awsome because it will still go down around 4" but the target is dead center and talk about weight difference WOW.

My experience with the large coil is that it pinpoints the same as the stock, but it's also my experience that it's not quite as accurate as the stock coil using the same method. Shallow targets do seem to pinpoint much better, but the deeper ones I have to spend more time on trying to narrow it down and then more time probing for.

In most situations conventional wisdom dictates that you can cover a larger area in less time with the bigger coil, but personally I've found that you use lose the time you would have saved trying to pinpoint the target. For this reason I try to stick with the stock coil as often as practical. I save my big coil for big areas, like football or soccer fields, where 99.9% of the time I'm not the first one to have hit them with a detector and the targets aren't deep. The weight of the bigger coil can get to you after a few hours also.

I do have all three coils and wouldn't have it any other way, it's just my opinion that the stock coil is the real sweetie as far as weight, size and practicality. The other two are specialty coils, and it's up to each individual to figure out which one is going to work best in any given situation.

Steve