Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie....well, kinda anyway....

MultiSlacking

Hi! I've been lurking about the Garrett forum here, waiting on my 150 to arrive in the mail (which it finally did the other day). I see alot of posts about the 250, but not much on the 150. I've got some time (spring break) coming up to use it and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for it? I played a bit in the backyard the other night and was a little troubled by it ID'ing the same target as everything under the sun--pulltab, iron, coin, jewelry (I was running in jewelry mode, btw). It seemed to read differently depending on which way I swept across the target. I'd used an old Whites many years ago, so I was looking forward to the "target id" in particular on the new Garrett! At any rate, I'm doing this as leisure activity, just a chance to get outdoors and enjoy nature as much as anything--like going fishing, I'll have a good time even if they aren't biting. :cool:

Any ideas, suggestions, experiences are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Did you dig that target up? That way you'll know what the 150 is trying to tell you. I would start out in the coin mode. Run the sensitivity at 2 bars starting out. I would dig only solid ID locks and repeatable signals starting out. Then later you can go over the same ground in the jewelry mode and dig the more iffy targets. You may want to invest in the sniper coil. Just remember that you and I have a "metal detector" not a coin and jewelry only detector. So it is up to our brain to decide to dig or not.
Welcome to the site!

Welcome, MultiSlacking: Khouse's advice is "right on" and so is your approach to the hobby. It does take time; just scroll back through the forum and you'll find lots of great advice from detectorists "in the know".

The 150 is a very capable detector; just a matter of learning its' language.

The 150 is a fine machine. Just as capable as a 250 at finding targets. Remember to investigate every target you can for about 2 or three months or until you begin to see the patterns that the 150 is showing you!
If you dig all the targets and associate each to what the detector tells you you'll begin to see a language develope between you and your detector. It won't take long and you'll both be speaking the same language, communicating some really great precious finds!

Good Luck helps! hehehe
But most of all...Have Fun!
KCK

I'm glad to hear the opinion of the 150 is as good as the 250. It seemed to have the features I wanted and the simplicity of use, which will be a big thing, because I know the kids will want to use it as well. The old Whites I'd used in the past was an "all dials" job and if it got out of tune, was a pain to get back to that "sweet" zone.

I did dig the targets I found in the backyard--typical things: nails, pulltab, jar lid. I did some more testing, with the metal detector hanging off a table and found that sideways motions of different targets in my hand produced the most accurate identifications.

I'll report back in a week and let you know how the spring break hunting went. I saw the extended forecast this morning...rain, rain, rain. :tongue: Maybe it will get it over with the first few days and make the digging better though later in the week!

Thanks again for the info!