Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie tip

gware12

i was hunting today and was having trouble finding coins because i was getting hits all over the place. i turned my gain down to 6 and started to get solid coin hits everywhere. i am new to the mxt and found that this really helped me . i could not believe it made such a difference in a trashy area.

Good tip...and theres tons of videos on youtube on mxt instructions along with tons of videos of people hunting for items...google search for metal detecting clips brought them all up.

gware 12, I usually hunt in the 7+ range and when it's really trashy, I'll turn it down just a bit. Usually I'll go get my smaller coil. You're doing great! HH, Nancy

what coil you using & mode & disc, at , i use 4x6 coil & c&j disc 2 & gain +2 in open area , & 5 in by chain link fence or playground equipment, & it works, hope this helps, hh.

I have tried playing with the gain while using my 4X6 near swingsets,poles and fences. I can only get so close (around 16 inches) before my MXT starts sounding off.I have tried tilting the coil at different angles to no avail. I just accept the fact as the nature of the beast and leave that area for the ace 250's to search (my friend has one and hits the area's and does fine)...

Thanks for tip ..Same thing happen to me at a tot lot / park , Full of trash ,got frustrated and left . I had my detector set at factory settings .I'm still learning this detector. I'll try your method..... Guzz1

Guzz sometimes it is good to take the time and dig the trash. Because your detector is telling you what the target "Might" be. My MXT is usually 95% correct on it's description.But there is that 5% ................

Groundshaker, I can get within 6 inches or less to playground posts etc. with the 4X6 and the gain turned down to 4 or even less. Just did it this morning as a matter of fact. I'm surprised you mention 16 inches. I am quite impressed at how big the detecting bubble becomes with the 4X6 when the gain is turned up to the highest settings. Also like the way the 4X6 surgically noses out the good stuff mixed with the trash. Also, sometimes it is helpful to approach the posts in relic mode and listen for the sweet tone mixed with the iron grunt, then switch to Coin/jewelry to see if you can get a coin ID.
HH
BB

I run the C/J mode at factory presets with the trigger in the center position. This little 4X6 seems to be one of a hundred. this little sucker is hotter than a firecracker and i have no complaints. It doesn't have the depth of my super 12,but is a killer on the tot lots. I don't bother getting close to the poles. I have a detecting partner who is handicapped and i let him hit around the poles. I deliberately pass over a lot of dime and quarter hits so he and his Ace 250 can find them.In time,,,I am going to follow Monte's suggestion and get the 5.3 coil and explore with it. I don't get to detect much because i am a health care provider and i am usually house bound. Winter is coming,time to save for new headphones,lower rods and another coil LOL.......Tom

You're right - the 4X6 is a hot coil for its size. I've picked up fair sized iron relics at an old logging camp with strong signals at a foot or so. When I bought my MXT it came with the 4X6 and the 5.3 as well as the stock 9.5 all with covers and lower rods. Later I added the 6x10 and a super 12. I'm sure you'll like the 5.3 alot when you get one. I find I use the 6X10 for most general detecting, but the 5.3 makes a good general use coil and is quite good in trash. For really heavy trash I still prefer the 4X6 as it nearly surgically noses out the goodies and pinpoints so close. I suppose I could get along pretty well with just the 4X6 or the 5.3, but being as I've already have them and do find places where I prefer one over the other, I'll hang on to them. My 9.5 and the 12 get very little use as I only occasionally ever hunt in open areas with little trash or areas where I feel I need the extra depth, but I've got'em in the arsenal when needed. Nice of you to pass some of the good hits on to your friend.
HH
BB

I try to use the super 12 as much as i can,,,until (too many targets close together) or (my arm and shoulder get tired (around 4 hours) ). Then i switch over to the 4X6 and hit the trashy target rich area's.