Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie questions

Jim Hodge

Been lurking for some time, reading what the experienced are saying. Leaves me confused but more informed. Am leaning towards the Vaquero for several reasons. 1} Maual ground balance, 2) Seemingly good performance in several areas of detection, 3} relatively good depth performance, and did I mention the lifetime warranty. I realize there is going to be a real learning curve. The most difficult thing I tried to do in my life was to learn piano in college. Gave up after one semester. Couldn't get both hands working at the same time. Will be more diligent about md hopefully. I have a bit of hearing loss from too many power saws and hammers working in close proxmidity, so headphones are an absolute necessity. Any suggestions as to a model of headphone. Have heard of the soft whisper of a deep coin or possibly a nugget, what headphones are required for this? Live in Central Calif but building a summer residence in SW Washington, so the beaches in Washington are probably one area that will be detected. Vaquero is good in the dry sand but problematic in the wet stuff? Monte is the Willapa Bay area like your NW Oregon area in mineralization? Comments welcomed, suggestions appreciated. Am I crazy? JH

Jim: there are a lot of goood headphones out there, I personally have found the Sun Ray pro headphones to be the best and most reliable that I have used . If you have high frequency hearing loss from loud noise as I do they seem to work very well. Steve

Steve: Thanks for your suggestion on headphones. I definately need something to compensate for the high freq loss that I have. At one time I was thinking about the Tejon for its adjustable audio freqency feature, but think I would prefer the Vaquero oveall. Some of the headphones have their own volume control, right? What site might I look at the model you suggested?? Thanks JH

probably, and it can handle most of what you'd encounter aorund here. But I don't get to any of the Washington beaches and only occassionally make it to Oregon's, so I am not sure about that one. I would guess that you can adjust well enough to deal with it.

Monte

For me the Vaquero is the best detector Tesoro ever made. It is lightweight, powerful and has great disc. It is just 420$ new or about 300$ used. Don' forget to buy the 5.75 coil for it.
Headphones: I use Killerbees or Troy Pro Headphones with the Vaquero.

Here is my review of the Vaquero:

It is more stable than a Tejon and gets the same depth.

If you don't have a Tejon and want a new Tesoro i would buy a Vaquero.I just like the fact that it's more stable, uses just 1 9 volt battery, has frequency shift and gets the same depth than the more expensive Tejon.
But some may still like the Tejon better since it has a Slow Auto-Tune All Metal AND a FAST Auto-Tune All Metal Mode; Dual Disc and longer Battery life.
I didn't like the battery doors on the Tejon.They gave me the feeling that i have to send the detector in for repair after a few battery changes.Otherwise the performance of the Tejon i had was great.
The Tejon and the Vaquero/Cibola aren't much more deeper than an Eldorado on higher conductive targets like dimes and pennys (About 1 to 2 inch).But they will go much deeper (about 4 inch) than an Eldorado on low conductive targets like nickels and goldrings.
For now i think the power vs price of a Vaquero/Cibola is hard to beat.

I didn't super tune sweet spot test, i did it the way the airtest is described in the manual.I think 13 inch on a nickel and about 10 on a dime is great.
I believe you can get more out of that detector by super tune sweet spot airtesting but i didn't do it to compare it to other
Tesoros under same air test conditions.

Did some more air testing today with the 5.75 coil.
Disc was between iron and 5c, sens at max.

Dime 9 inch , Nickel 10 inch with a 5.75 coil !!!!!!!!!

That's what my Eldorado gets with its 9x8 standard coil.
I am glad i bought that coil with my Vaquero.
I am impressed.There is no detector in the price range that can beat that new Tesoro.

HH,
Andy

Andy: Thanks for the comprehensive reply, its above and beyond the call. I am ignorant about the 5.75 coil. What I think it does is narrow the search area for more discrimination, but at a loss of depth. Is this correct or not? Only know what I have gleened from lurking on this forum, 'newbie'. I was considering the Tejon only for the audio freq adjust feature, but prefer the Vaquero if my hearing loss can be compensted for with headphones. JH

Jim,

you can order a Vaquero with a higher audio tone or the standard lower tone. I like the higher tone better because i can hear the weak signals better.

The 5.75 coil is the deepest for the size i have ever seen. The Vaquero with the 5.75 coil sure beats detectors using a bigger coil in target separation AND depth.

Just make sure to set up the GB and Threshold right for max. performance.

Andy

Again, thanks Andy. Your response clarifies about the 5.75 coil. I saw the higher freq Vaquero listed on one site and was wondering what that was about. I owe you, maybe I could send you my first born male child for compensation. JH

I've seen the higher audio tone Vaquero advertized on some sites. My hearing loss is in the higher frequencies. When on the telephone I can not usually understand a person with a higher voice (ie, most women and children). So, my questions are 1} Do you know of a way I can actually hear the different units, 2} Is the option something that can be added on later from the factory,(3 and likewise, could it be changed back to the lower freq if I bought a higher freq one? Any of you having a similar hearing loss, have experience with the two freqs and have a preference? I plan on getting the Wasp Killerbees headphones, would these headphones make my questions a non issue? Any comments appreciated, I am getting real close to making my order. I do have in-the-ear aids, but have a really hard time adjusting to them. Sometimes they just don't seem to do the job, and probably I need to have them tuned in a bit more for me. Any way, thanks in advance for comments. JH

Couldn't wait, went ahead and ordered the standard tone. The supplier offered to have me listen to the two different tones over the phone. I couldn't detect a lot of difference in my ability to hear either tone, but thought I might be able to hear the standard tone slightly better. I know, it a real subjective thing, but with the headphones I think I'll be ok. Good day to all. JH

I appreciate what help I've receive from you all (or should I say "all you all")? It has helped me muddle thru my decisions. Vaquero, Killerbees, 5.75 coil and ABS lower pole on the way.

Steve: Saw your message after I made my last entry on this thread. Already put in an order. Thanks for your help.JH