Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie Question

zeb

I'm getting very interested in the Tesoro brand of metal detectors.

I've never owned or used one before.

Question: Is there a GREAT DEAL of difference in depth between the lower priced models and the top of the line?

Please comment.

Thanks,

Zeb

There is great deal of depth difference in any detector. "Depth" is a relative term and there are many variables. Our manufacturers, Tesoro included, do all they can to ensure they offer the latest technology avialable. More than anything, it depends on you and your experience, and how well you know your model of detector. We all know someone who uses an "antique" detector - and who beats the pants off the rest of us! :detecting:

In general, you should spend a minimum of 30 hours with any new unit before you begin to make assessments. I always suggest you take the batteries out of any other detectors you may own and use only your new one during this learning period.

To your question, YES, there are differences in models. The Tejon and the Vaquero are gonna be deeper than say, a Compadre or Silver. They have more sensitive circuitry and can be fine tuned to the nth degree. Thay also can be way more erratic and darned near unusable if improperly adjuated.

Additionally the electro-physics of the thing has an impact. Getting more than the mean average of depth from the emitted field (coil dimension X .707) requires amplification that can again, cause difficulties for the unknowing. :nerd:

Then there is the "detection cone" effect. Down in the depths, the practical field of detection narrows, so that any one target has less than a few square inches of excitation area to be detected in. Think about your own finds: I'll wager most of them are in under one foot, regardless, and more often that not, less than 6-8 inches. These things are just The Way It Is.:shrug:

What you will find with the Tesoro line, at least in my experience, is a detector that runs smooth, is user friendly and simple to operate and has all the power currently available from modern electronics. Bells and whistles, however, are not the strong suit of Tesoro models. Usable power IS. Couple that power with a modicum of knowledge and willing knees - then dig! You wont be dissapointed. :clapping::smoke:

Vance and James Gifford have done an admirable job moving forward from Jacks, (their father) beginnings. They are in their 25th year of operation and still offer the only LIFETIME GUARANTEE on their products that I am aware of. :tesoro: At the very least, you will always be able to sell your Tesoro at fair prices if you are not a good fit for the model you select.

Go For It and Committ. All knowledge stems from this simple credo.:beers:

Yeah, a Tejon is probably deeper than a Compadre or Silver, and I want a Tejon AND a Vaquero, but you know what...in MOST cases a Compadre (which is no slouch) is deep enough.

If you want to spend the cash, I can tell you that the Vaquero is great and you really can't go wrong with this machine. I'm getting one.

If you want to spend less...ALL Tesoros are really good. I have a old Bandido umax and an older Golden Sabre Plus that I'm trying to bring myself to sell and it's hard because I love them both for what they are. They are great fun to use and very effective detectors.

You can have a great time and find a lot with a used Bandido or Silver Sabre, no doubt about that. You can use them for a year then sell them for what you paid for them...and they will still be a good deal for the buyer.

You don't have to get hung up on the machinery unless you want to, then as DavHut says...go for it!

Tesoros are not the most flashy, feature-laden machines out there, but they have have lots of dedicated fans for some really good reasons.

Good luck,
Joe

And would add as an example what both of them alluded to. I have a Pantera, that was discontinued in the early 90's. I bought it about a year and a half ago. Before that, I owned a Tejon and a Cortes. Did those two detectors have more raw power than the Pantera? Well, yes they do. Can they find items deeper than my Pantera? Well, probably...it kind of depends upon the user and the ground conditions. But I have found more rings and older coins with my Pantera than I did with the other two detectors. The difference? I have taken the time to REALLY learn the Pantera. When I get a certain tone, I know what it is before I dig. I know how fast to sweep with it now. All the little things that add up to finding more goodies. So, Decide what type of hunting you are interested in. Do your research on the detectors you are interested in. And if possible, go try one out at a dealer. But most importantly...stick with it a while before you think you might not like it. Because when you learn it, you might just change your mind. Good luck with your decision, and Merry Christmas!

J.

"ALL Tesoros are really good. I have a old Bandido umax and an older Golden Sabre Plus that I'm trying to bring myself to sell and it's hard because I love them both for what they are....You can have a great time and find a lot with a used Bandido or Silver Sabre, no doubt about that. You can use them for a year then sell them for what you paid for them...and they will still be a good deal for the buyer."
I still have a little SSuMax I am replacing with a Vaquero. I say replacing because it's a hard decision to make. See, it's a decision I made once and now regret.

My first detector was a Silver Sabre II. They say, "Beware the man with only one gun". That was me. I didn't have three or four units, just that one SSII.

I found scads of stuff with it. I took it everywhere - literally. I knew that sucker inside and out. Then I pawned it for $100 in a financial downturn - and I rue the day.(no matter how broke you get, never sell your favorite detector!)

I think Joe's comment is great. Get any one of the used Tesoros you can find about and learn to use it well. Make it your main unit for awhile and you may just keep it for a long time to come.

David

The difference? I have taken the time to REALLY learn the Pantera. When I get a certain tone, I know what it is before I dig. I know how fast to sweep with it now. All the little things that add up to finding more goodies....
But most importantly...stick with it a while before you think you might not like it.

I think the point is being well made. Whatever you get, stick with it.

MY biggest challenge has always been to trust what the machines are saying. You may likewise be having such trust issues. Here's the simple solution....drumroll please... Dig up your targets!

One of my detectors is a Garrett GTP 1350. What an awesome detector! However, it has a different response suite than any other - so different that I didnt get it at first and in haste sold my first one. Yes, I contradicted my own advice! That's how I learned the value of it.

Well, I decided that I should recant my hypocrisy, so 8 months ago, I got another 1350. Ive made it my main unit since. Here's what I've learned:

It is VERY sensitive (turning down the SENS control often gives better results, especially around trashy sites).

It has excellent target separation abilities (yesterday, I pulled out a zincer smack dab between two large ferrous blobs).

Mostly, though, I've learned that if it gives a solid signal of any kind, I should investigate and extract the target! That 1350 is usually dead on.

H. Glenn Carson once referred to metal detectors as the modern equivalent of alchemy. You put in the chemical reaction found in batteries and you get gold in return.

By taking your time and listening close to the responses, slowing and adjusting swing speeds over the target (a much disregarded piece of advice) and tweaking the DISC a little, perhaps, to judge that target type's response - you'll get to know the "magic wand" in your hand and be able to take advantage of it's "alchemy".

Zeb, read my post Lifelong Tesoro User. Friend, I've tried them all, been detecting for over 30 years. You will not be disappointed with Tesoro. If money is no object for you, you should go with the DeLeon, it has the exact same circuits as the Cortes (I've owned that one also) but the display is so much more easier to read. The only modification I've done to both my Tesoro's is replace the stock handgrip with a supersize grip that goes on a bicycle. You don't need a coil cover either...DeLeon, some good phones and a digger and I personally GUARANTEE you'll be finding more goodies than those jokers who pay 12, 13 hundred or more for a detector.

Look at it like this Zeb, it's a once in a lifetime purchase, you'll NEVER need another detector.

Thanks again David and everyone else who commented.

I can now see that the Tesoro is for me.

Now I just have to figure out which model to buy :shrug: