Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie question: 10x14 vs WOT

Trent (GA)

First, let me introduce myself.

Born in Moscow, Russia (USSR at the time). Made my first detector at the age of 11 (modern stud finders are better, but hey, I made it myself!). When served in the military (Soviet military, that is), I've had some experience with anti-personnel mines and de-mining. Russian military issue detectors had no such things as discrimination or tone/display ID, so this is the whole new world for me.

Over a decade later, on American soil, an old Sioux Indian introduced me to the hobby of treasure hunting. For the next 3 years or so I was on the fence regarding metal detecting. I was reading everything I can find (including this forum and couple of Russian resources), and feel educated enough now :smoke:

Well, last week I decided to take the plunge. So far I am practicing in local parks (fill dirt :thumbdown:) and looking around for an interesting sites. My current arsenal:

* Brand new Explorer SE (already in love).
* 4.5x7" Excelerator (lots of junk, so far this is my main coil).
* X-1 probe (new version goes with the black shaft, and the probe itself are black, too).
* Sennheiser PXC 150 phones (got a sweet deal; they are great in hot weather, but not very loud).
* TrueTemper garden digger (performance is pretty blah in typical Georgia clay).
* Glock E-Tool (good for camping, but way too wide for cutting those plugs!).
* 8" rounded screwdriver (digging rocky soil in the local park is the royal PITA; with the screwdriver I can pop shallow coins in a matter of seconds).
* Thick leather gloves (probably the best puncture resistant material for gloves).

Lesche Ground Shark and Digger is on a way.

Am I missing something? :stars:

And the million-dollar question:

How would you compare performance of the WOT with Excelerator 10x14?
On a beach?
In the woods?
Black sand?
Iron-infested high-mineral soil?
Fresh water?
Salt water?..

Thank you and HH! ;)
Trent

...learn your Explorer with the 10" coil very well before going any bigger. I purchased a 15" WOT coil for my Explorer II right after I bought mine and put the WOT on soon after. I tell you what...I put the 10" coil back on after a few outings with the WOT and am finally feeling comfortable with the Explorer after many weeks of using the 10".

My take on the WOT coil is that it is hot but maybe too much so when first learning the Explorer. I primarily use my Explorer on the salty beaches and my XT-70 does me heaps good elsewhere. It is stable as on the beach and after much consternation with the XT-70 on the salty beach (tho I still love the XT-70, I just never could get the right mix of sensitivity and balance on the wet sand that I can with a multi-freq such as the Exp), I switched over to the Explorer and now I am finding some deep finds with even the 10" tho I'd still love the coverage and depth of the WOT, I think I jump into using it on a new machine much too quickly.

It may not help your question right off but I was so disdained with the Explorer that until I put the 10" coil back on, I was going to sell it. Now, I can swing happily away on the wet sand all the while learning how to use the machine.

cheers...Keith

Keith, thank you!

I am well aware of the learning curve and difficulties of the large coils. I've been lurking on this forum for 3 years now :rolleyes:

My goal at first - for the large coil - would be cherrypicking shallow targets at construction sites (we have some major construction in progress here!). At first, I will run it very cold (say, sens=10, maybe even fast=ON) to cover large areas fast. Depth is not an issue for construction sites, the soil has been bulldozed all over the place, up to few feet deep. The area has to be covered fast, and there is no BigFoot coils available for Explorers, so I have to decide between WOT and 10x14 (is there any other options for coverage, really?).

Once I familiarize myself with 4.5x7 coil to it's maximum limits, I'll learn the stock coil. Then, and only then, I want to start learning the large one - just like you suggested. However, for the fast coverage and shallow targets (X-1 can help me ID them), I don't expect any major differences in "behavior" compared to smaller coils.

So my question essentially is - which coil is the better investment, considering my plans to use it in the future (when I learn to run it hot) in such and such environments? :pulltab:

Thanks again and HH,
Trent

I was surprised how well it cherry picked with way low sensitivity. Was hoping I wouldn't like it, I've got too many coils already. Its kinda like looking down on the Enterprise as it locks coordinates for beam up,
" Captain-- it doesn't take much power.".