Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie looking for some tips...

CruiseAndHunt

Howdy! I work in the cruise industry, so my job takes me all over the world to places with a lot of beaches, old architecture, etc.

I was thinking I should get off the ship to do something other than just find an internet cafe and sit my butt down, and instead get out and get a little exercise by hunting the beaches.

We are back in Florida mid december, and i was looking at Reilly's Treasured Gold site, and they have a "starter package" i guess you could call it, of a Garrett Treasure Ace 250, a coin apron, and some books for around $200.

Was hoping some experienced T-Hunters might be able to offer some advice on this detector, and possibly some useful tips for a complete newbie.

thanks in advance!

Rob

the ace 250 is a great machine for hunters who are just starting out and is still a great choice for the those who have been doing it for some time,,it is a dead easy machine to learn how to use ( I started on one a few weeks ago) , watching the DVD that comes with it is almost every thing you need to know about the machine ,, it is a coin magnet as stated by others, and loves jewelry as well,, it is also a very compact machine nice and light to use and fairly easy to store away,,hope this helps

cheers Roger

The Ace250 is a great detector Rob. Get some good headphones, something
to dig with and a pouch for your finds and your all set. Just do a search here and
you will be reading for weeks. Hunting the beaches. Yeah, that's got to be rough .
If you need any help carrying your gold jewelry you find let me know.
The salt water and wet sand might be kind of touchy but there is always the dry sand
where the Ace will run smooth.
Best of luck, it's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Might as well be you. Gene

I am SO sorry you have to endure the agony of beaches and sun .... :laugh:

Seriously I started with the ace and i Still love it.. altho I mtrying
to learn the GTI now.. but when i want to run and search quick i grab the ace
Im new but i do know the ace is a great detetctor

Happy safe hunting

Ron

RLTW

You nave my deepest sympathy for the miserable life you must lead. :rofl: You couldn't pick a better detector than the 250. It's probably the hottest seller out there. It performs like machines costing hundreds of dollars more. It's light, easy to learn, and easy to use. It loves gold and hits hard on even small pieces. Just stay out of the wet sand with it although you can sorta hunt it with the sensitivity turned way down. Go through the archives on this forum for a ton of tips and procedures. Should you take the plunge keep us posted on what you find. If I had your job I would have had a truck load of detectors long ago. :) Good luck.

Bill

I hunted with it in the wet sand. Sensitivity was at 2 bars and forget about pinpointing. After about 30 minutes I eased up to the dry and found 3 rings with it. This was on my vacation to Florida this summer.

--- and lean on them for advice. They are great folks and specialize in beach and water hunting.
The Ace 250 is a great unit for starters an the price can't be beat.

Wow! Thanks for the feedbalk, folks! Sounds like the Ace250 is the way to go. I'll just have to order it, and have it shipped to head office in Miami, as RTG isn't open on Sundays. head office can add the package to the ship mail for when we hit Port Everglades on Dec13th. So, I just need to add a good sand scoop and a decent probing stick to my package, and I should be good to go!

Our Caribbean itineraries hit:

St Maarten
St Kitts
Labadee (private resort on Haiti)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
and Fort Lauderdale (although that's our turnaround day, so I doubt I'll be able to hit any beaches)

Will definitely post my findings from the islands, though! Thanks again!