Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie - first hunt questions

Johnwbriggs

I posted this in the Garrette forum also but the old bounty hunter is analog, so I thought maybe I'd post here also.
Thanks

Hi,
I went out a couple times this weekend for my first detecting hunt and man am I confused / A little bit frustrated.
First the good news is I found a dime. My first coin, a 1988 d. My biggest question is, well two actually. One is the mystery beeps. You get a single beep but nothing on a second swing. Or if you do it has moved a little. I can

Hi John,

First, I am no expert and am not familiar with either of the detectors you have. Hopefully some on this forum are familiar with them and will reply to you.

There are a few things that can cause strange signals to happen. If the gain (sensitivity) is set too high, false signals can happen. If the ground balance is incorrectly set, the detector will operate erratically. "Hot rocks" can cause sputters and other false indications. Since I don't know anything about your models, I can't be specific.

Am a little uncomfortable to give the following advice on a White's forum, but here goes. If you decide to get a new detector, I suggest you do some research into a Garrett Ace 250. It is one of the least expensive detectors on the market. Many reports I have read say you get the most bang-for-the-buck with this detector. It does pinpoint and it does a lot more as well.

Good luck
Hunt4Fun