Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbee - School Detecting Question

vpnavy

I'm new (only been out twice). How does one find out if it is "legal" to Metal Detect at a local school (live in Maryland).

<center> Schools can be good and or bad :lol:
Best time is off hours or during the wkends when school is out.
Summer Vacation is another :)
I dont know if its the best idea going to a school right off the rip and DIG holes But....
you can always use the ole screwdriver method and say your looking for surface finds :D, sometimes that works better then if anyone see's you diggin holes.

A lot of folks think they own the schools and may not like anyone diggin at that school :shrug:
For they think they own it :D or liability reasons.
I know where I lived in upstate NY they fenced off most school yards and you could not get into them like you use to be able too
Sad world now I guess but good luck and have fun

... Ask him / her if it would be alright AFTER school hours / on weekends when children are not present. Offer to show him / her the stuff you find and also demonstrate your target extraction technique so they might see you will leave no trace of having recovered a target .... notice never did I use the word DIG ... DIG has an ugly mental connotation meaning making and leaving large holes. If you do get permission, ask for a simple permission note.

If it's like around here, with chain link fences all around the school property, don't even bother asking.

I grew up in Rockville, Md. :wave:

I've never had to ask or ever been asked to leave any of the schools that the wife and I hunt out here. I was not in the hobby when I lived in Maryland so I'm not sure what the rules are there.

About The Indians--I Generaly Go Armed Because Some Are Still some Who Are Great Grand Sons Of Those Who Wipped Custer And They Kind Of Lurk Around In The Forests That Abound Around Most Single Room Schools That We Have Here---We Find It Best To Go Armed And In Large Parties As It Is A Lot Safer That Way---I Kind Of Suspect Things Will Improve Out Here In 40-50 Years But By That Time I Will Be Around The Same Age As Bubba (God What A Thought) And Ill Just Be Like Him Carring A Personlised Cane With My Age and Name On It So I Can Be Led Back To The Old Age Poor Farm Making Pallets---Of Course Things Could Be Worse (Spent A Couple Of Hrs And Could NOT Think Of Anything Worse)

Thanks for everyone's input. I will hit one on the weekend and see what happens.