Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Water/beach hunter help

sport.pilot

I have my first water detector on its way! It is a new Fisher CZ-21. I am excited about this and I would like to learn how to hunt in shallow fresh water (mainly lakes and rivers) and in/on the ocean beaches as well. I do not want to hunt (at least for now) any deeper in the water than waist high. Can anybody suggest good books, videos, DVDs. etc., and web sites that will help me learn the basics of shallow water hunting and beach metal detecting? I have metal detected for gold nuggets, meteorites, and coins in AZ and CA for years, but never have tried water/beach hunting, and I always wanted to do so. I live part time in Sacramento, CA - not far from the San Francisco Bay area and places like Santa Cruz, Stinson Beach, Bodega Bay, etc., and part time in Golden Valley, AZ (close to Bullhead City, AZ and the Colorado River as well as Lake Mead - 180 miles of shoreline!). So, there is a variety of environs available to me, I just need help getting started and I do not want to develop any bad habits. Thanks to all.
Darryl

Lake Mead ought to be a great place. First of all, start locating, right now, those areas that have a high concentration of people using the water. They are the ones who seed the lake. You can use Google Earth and do the entire shoreline of the lake and look for marked swim beaches. You can usually see the floats that define the area. You will find lots of swim beaches you probably didn't know that existed.
The other choice is an OLD swimming area or a resort area that was built in the early 1900s and the historical society might mention in some of it's books or a curator might steer you to. Some places you'll probably need to rent a boat to get to. Others you can drive to. With the major water level changes in that lake in the last several years, knowing where the shoreline was and what it is presently needs to also be calculated.
In the State of Washington and in the fresh water lakes around here, I have found one thing to be a solid bet. MOST of the stuff will be in water no deeper than waist deep. That where most of the people spend most of their time. I have often thought people wade into the water deep enough to relieve the 'pressure' and that's about waist deep. It's natural for folks to move their arms and hands in the water while wading and after tanning and applying oils, plus the contraction of the flesh from the cold and the water's lubrication, jewelry slips off. Often the break between where people no longer wade and 'push off' and start swimming their first few strokes is where the rings come off as the do the swimming strokes. That area is probably a bit deeper than you can wade...unless you hit the lake at a lower water time.
The exception to the depth thing is a swim/dive platform anchored in deep water. Under that is a good place also as the impact of the body on the water often tears off nice gold chains.
Now the rules:
1. Wear an inflatable life jacket when doing the beaches with a surf. You'll never know when a sneaker will get you. It may save your life.
2. Get a good scoop. There's been tons of discussion here about them. Read about those using a search and choose. Ain't much functional difference between any of the top of the line models. A main consideration is durability. If you drag the thing through the water, the weight is not a considerable issue to me, but it is to others. The lakes around here are usually lots of rocks. I need a stainless to penetrate that hard stuff. When I happen to find a sand beach the digging is actually fun and much faster.
3. Except in the active ocean surf, fill in the holes you dig. The surf is going to fill in the hole faster than you'd like anyway. Sometimes the hole I dig in a lake is a good 12" deep and that's a nasty step off for someone who isn't looking out for that. Could even put a tot over his head which might be deadly. People who leave holes are risking the right to continue detecting there for the rest of us. There's a fair amount of debate about the ocean hunters about the holes but it doesn't take much to kick the sand back into the hole. You'll have to choose what's best in your opinion on that.
4. Don't go in the middle of the swim day when the place is packed. You will get bothered with a ton of unwanted questions and you will interfere with the swimming activity and might risk ejection by the life guards and maybe even told to not come back. Do it early in the morning or late in the evening. In freshwater I'd even use a head lamp and do it at night.
5. Sooner or later you will be asked to help find somebody's keys or a piece of jewelry. This will be a personal decision, but I have always tried to help. No service fee either. That's also a debatable issue. For me, it's just feels good to do something that a lot of others can't do and to make somebody else have a much better day. Sometimes, and this is not the motivation for me, people will tell you about other good areas to hunt and invite you indirectly to better places. That's a reward you can't negotiate.

There's two kinds of waders. Some are really light and are breathable. That's fine for summer. In the ocean's around here, and in the lakes during the winter, neoprene waders are a must. I prefer the waders that have a sock on the end, and then I can put any shoes I want over the top of the bootie. Old tenny runners or...you can get the felt sole shoes that are made for wading slippery rocks in streams and not slip as much as you would with a plain rubber sole.

There's probably lots of other things to consider...but this is a start.

Clive James Clynick has three books out that I own. They all have good learning points in them and even though they sound detector specific that's not the entire content of the book(s):

Pulsepower: Finding Gold at the Shore with a Pulse Induction Metal Detector.

Finding Gold, Silve Coind with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur metal detectors.

Advanced Methods for Finding Gold in the Water with the Minelab Excalibur

Now that Grumpyolman has given away most of the lake hunting secrets I might as well add a couple of my own. ;) Do check the "designated" swim areas but I have had much more success in "unmarked" swim areas- watch where the people go! Don't forget to take the trash you find with you. Show those nails, pull tabs, bottle caps, (toxic) lead weights, batteries, pull tabs, shards of glass, etc. to lifeguards and park rangers and you might always be welcomed back for keeping the water safe and healthy. HH!.

I forgot the part about taking all the trash. Thanks Goldak. I can tell you that I was initially refused permission to hunt in a lake swimming area. After some explaining I was allowed to detect there. During that first trip I pulled a water logged 4X4 that had a rusty 10" spike driven through it from about 2" under the muck. I took that and a broken bottle neck with a screw cap on it and showed it to the Park Ranger as I was leaving. He couldn't believe that spike or the broken bottle neck was in the swim beach area. I am welcome back there anytime and I suspect the next water detector person who asks will also be allowed to hunt there.
I truly believe you Goldak, but I hunted an informal swim area last week that I have seen people congregate in for years. I found one penny and a ton of bottle caps. I just haven't had much luck in those areas around here. Glad it works for you.
Most water hunters dig it all and keep it all. When you're done at the end of the day, then sort the trash from the loot. Digging it all is relative to how hard it is to dig what it is you are hunting in. On the sand, and most fresh water folks don't find that very often, definitely dig everything. After your foot is sore and your digger is bent from the rocks, one tends to be a bit more selective and might try to discriminate the rusty nails. If you use much more discrimination than that you risk not finding the gold. Pulling up pull-tabs and nickels is an indicator that if you swing the coil over the gold, you'll probably get it.
Goldak...you and I both know that sport.pilot now has the easy part. Going and doing it is another thing. Maybe like soloing your first time.
HH Jim

If you ever hunt with one that doesn't I would find a different hunting partner. It is VERY frustrating to see a fellow water hunter dig trash and throw it back again!!!!!!! My MAJOR pet pieve.

You DON'T want to dig the same bottle top or pull tabe over and over again at your favorite hunting spot.

Some prefer waders some wet suits. Pro's and cons to both. If you step in a hole with waders and they fill with water your in trouble. With a wetsuit you can go further out in the water. I hipmount my CZ-21 on a diving weight belt. I also put a few 2lb weights on it to keep me netural bouyant so I am not bobbing like a cork when trying to dig. If you step in a hole and get in trouble you can always unbuckle the belt FAST and bob like a cork. Your detector is NOT worth your life and easily retrivable.

With practice you will never need the pinpoint button on your machine. Looking at the bottom where it beeps should have an ablormality like a rock, piece of seaweed or anything to show you exactly where to dig. I have never needed mine.

The MOST important part of water detecting is making sure your absolutly comfortabe in the water and can handle ANY and all problems, One of my friends died two years ago and nobody to this day knows what happened to him.

Have fun Be safe and show us the gold!!!!!!!

in water good pin pointing and a large scoop best to hit the terget on your first try it goes bad after that

If I can't see my coil I use my big feet behind the coil then scoop. Hardly ever go to PP. Whatever works to retrieve the target. My 2 cents.:minelab:

lake mead is off limits to metal detecting. I called a year ago to see because the lake was really low. I was told that I could get a ticket for having a detector in the car. some kind of national park. if you want to hunt some place check first, I wouldn't want to lose my detector and pay a big fine.
Norm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiVjZKm_MtU&feature=player_embedded

Great ideas !!
Good luck in hunting
hh
John