Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New vs. Older Excal II's

stpauli914

So I have read of some issues on the first batch of Excal II's as far as the chords being weak near the housing and the headphones. Has the issue been addressed by Minelab and are the newer models better than the older ones?

Thanks,
Aaron

i don't know but i just had both (headphones and battery wire ) redone on my xcal 2 due to cracks

After you clean and wash it off and it dries, spray some Silicone Spray on it (Diving Equipment Quality), and on the wires. This will help prevent dryrot and help it last longer.

Minelab had quality control problems when they first moved their assembly to Malaysia from Ireland. Hopefully these problems have been resolved and build quality has improved as the workers gained experience and Minelab placed more emphasis on quality control. Given that there have been relatively few posts recently would seem to indicate the problems have been addressed and resolved.

Regardless of which version Excal you have, I recommend supplementing the stock strain relief at both the housing and headphone cable penetrations to ensure the cable is not pulled from the unit or broken internally due to stress. Ideally, you want the molded coils in the cable absorb 100% of the strain when the cable is stretched for whatever reason (i.e. unexpected wave pulls the headphones off, you drop the headphones inadvertantly, etc.). Stock strain reliefs do not offer enough relief for water hunting. A simple supplemental strain relief can be assembled using a few zip ties purchased at your local hardware store. Concur with the recommendation for spraying equipment with silicon spray (dive quality) which can be purchased at any dive shop. Lastly, cover your detector with a towel to prevent continued UV exposure when you are not using it.