Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New User Needs help

rimdig chuck

I have a Sony Cyber ShotDSC-T1, Can anyone tell me how I can get a picture of a silver coin that look silver? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chuck

Hi Chuck - I'm not familiar with that camera but the review at Steve's Digicams indicates that it has a macro mode/capability:

(quote) The T1 has a very good closeup mode with coverage from 8 cm out to infinity. The Magnifying Glass mode lets you get even closer but the lack of a tripod socket makes capturing shake-free images a real challenge (unquote).

So I'm assuming that it can take a closeup okay. You mentioned about the silver color. It would be my guess that you may be trying to take a picture indoors and your flash is going off which "may" result in dark shading??? The only thing I can suggest is to try outdoors ... a bright cloudy day might be best ... just so that you use natural lighting which is bright enough that the flash doesn't fire.

Sorry if I didn't understand your problem correctly.

Good luck ... Gord SW Ont. :wave:

Thanks a lot for the help, I need all the help I can get, I got this camera because it's small and I can easily take It treasure hunting.If you would take a look at these pics maybe you might have some sugestions. Thanks Again Chuck:shrug:

Hi Chuck - it looks like you may have used the wrong white balance (WB).

Did you shoot under incandescent lights with auto white balance (AWB)? This will give you that yellowish effect. As I said in my previous post - dull outside lighting (with AWB) works pretty well for coins.

I hope you don't mind but I took your picture and removed some yellow and red tint to get a more silver look. You can use several tools in most image processing programs to do this (levels, curves, color balance, etc). It will improve it some but the best solution is to use the right WB when you shoot your pictures.

Also try to lower exposure a little to reduce the clipping (or blown out highlights). Some may be unavoidable on a silver coin but try to minimize it.

BTW ... nice coin! I MD myself. 8^)

Good luck. :wave:

Example:

[attachment 67623 silvercoin1.jpg]

Thanks for the tips I'll give them a try on the same coins, and post the results. I started out MD, that lead to researching history(which hated in school but find it enjoyable now), now I'm on my way into the world of photography which is very rewarding. Thanks again Chuck

Chuck - that is much better. What did you do ... reshoot or post process?

Forgot to say that if you wanted to use indoor incandescent lighting you should set the WB to tungsten.

No problem with questions ... ask away.

Gord SW Ont. :wave:

I set EV to -3, spot AF, incandescent WB, ISO auto, p. quality fine, and shot the pic outside. this stuff is fun. Chuck:thumbup:

Hope you meant automatic white balance (AWB) when shooting outside. The tungsten WB is used when you're using incandescent lights indoors. ;)

I agree that it can be a lot of fun and is really pretty straight-forward after you get the hang of it.

Looking forward to seeing your other metal detecting finds.

Gord SW Ont. :wave: