Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to this

wanted

Hey,
My wife just got me a Bounty Hunter Camo LS for Christmas. I have no idea of what I am doing, but was able to find a quarter and a nickle this afternoon while the kids were playing at the park. Any suggestions and is this a decent metal detector that I have. Thanks for your comments. Dan

.... just as important to you and to the rest of us detectorists is to make sure you take all trash that you dig and dispose of it properly and fill all recovery holes so you can't tell you've been detecting.

Always ask for permission when considering searching private, corporate, or church property.

Don't throw anything away until you are positive it is trash.

Purchase and read all the books you can find on metal detecting.

Bounty Hunter Tips

My first tips are:

A: Get headphones. Saves battery power AND you WILL hear more. What's more, it doesn't attract quite so many curious adults. Kids are a whole 'nother matter.

B: Get a good digging tool. A lesche style digger is great to start.

C: If you're hunting sand (at beach or playgrounds) get a nice sifting tool. It's MUCH MUCH faster than digging.

The first setting I would recommend for your Bounty Hunter is to select "Disc" (discrimination) mode. Tune the disc knob to the right until all the low and medium tones no longer come through (usually a bit past half way). Find this threshold as close as possible, since you want to get good at tuning and you want the entire silver spectrum to work with. This setting will allow you to get comfortable with pinpointing and tracking repeatable targets is easier at first with only one tone to pay attention to.

Once you are familiar with pinpointing, change hunt modes to "Auto Notch" In this setting with the Disc/Notch Knob all the way to the left, the pull tab spectrum is almost completely eliminated as well as most small iron. This now opens the door to the wonderful world of Nickels and Gold. There will be times when you are hunting home sites that you will use other methods, but these two settings are ideal for learning on. First learn on coins then move to combination hunting.

Now, here's one for you as you advance along. Deeper coins tend to continue to ring a nice consistent tone. They don't tend to bounce around but they don't always repeat in all 4 directions. I dig anything that rings consistently in my target ranges even if it just repeats in 2 or 3 directions. That will have me digging either at the junction of a V or a T. I don't just dig the 4 way signals.

Other basic tips...

#1. You can't find them if they aren't there. What this means is selecting a site that had pedestrian traffic during the time that silver coins were in circulation is ultimately important.

#2 Though not hunted out, the obvious spots have been hunted by everyone over the years. Seek out the less obvious. Parks in developments dating to the 40's, 50's and 60's have been very productive for me.

#3 Don't be shy. Ask the owners of old homes if you can hunt their lawns. The worst they can say is no. If they do say no, go right next-door and ask the next one. You'll get permission eventually.

#4 Make Detectorist cards. Give them to everyone i.e. friends, family, people that you ask for permission. It helps people feel better about letting you hunt because they can always track you down. Sometimes a person that says NO changes their mind.

#5 Never ever turn down a chance to look for someone

Thanks so much for spening the time to keep me interested. IM eager to learn after seeing all the photos of other finds.
Dan Webb ( Las Vegas, Nv. )
Wanted441@yahoo.com