Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New To the Sport

Marrdro

I was recently told my by doctor to find a new hobby that would get me outside on the days I don't hunt or fish and she recommended I get a metal detector. Went out yesterday for the first time and found a few coins and a old round ball for a muzzle loader.

As I live in VA and have lots of areas to look for stuff I don't lack for places to go, but I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for books or sites that I could research what I find.

hi marrdro you find the right sight right in this forum im new too metal detecting to and this sight as helped me so much
hh

If your looking for a place to research you could...

1)Go to the library

2)Put in a search for your city's historical society

NOTE:you must ask for permission before you go and dig up a historical site

Matt,

Hello Marrdro:

As Dalton stated above...Your local libraries have a wealth of books and maps on local history, battles, old and new construction, etc...Your local historical society can prove to be an invaluable source of information on your area...get in good with these folks, and your possibilities are endless...There are a few magazines that also give many great ideas and have stories on individual states...they are:

Lost Treasure Magazine, and Western & Eastern Treasures

Also if you do a google search for <your city, state> history, you might be surprised at what shows up...

HH,

BH-LandStar

Also make sure that you check into any rules and regs in your area pertaining to metal detecting. Most of these can be found on the net with a little research.

Try to locate any metal detecting clubs in your area as well, they should be a wealth of information.

I also agree with BH-Landstar, search google.

Thanks for all the replies. I have found a wealth of info on the net. Additionally, I will go ahead and check out the local libray. Been awhile since I've had a library card. ;)

Quick question for you Bounty Hunter owners (I have a Quick Draw II). It seems that sometimes mine will beep everytime I switch directions with it. Adjusting the sensitivity helps but that has me a bit worried. Is that normal?

Hi Marrdro, if the sensitivity is too high it will false like that, also keep your swing level to the ground at all times. Don't swing like a pendulam as this will also cause the falsing. Try to keep your swing speed at around 1' per second this will also help. HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

Hello again Marrdro and Welcome to this great lifetime hobby:

Metal detecting is a sort of combination hobby...Not only do you get great exercise and fresh air, you also get to enjoy nature, learn a little history, and research for those lost hunting spots. Sometimes I think I enjoy the research just as much as I do finding my booty for the day's hunt. I love learning new knowledge, and ever since grade school, I have always been a sponge when it comes to these sorts of things (yes, I was a nerd). While researching a possible site, I often run across other interesting info not even involved with Metal Detecting, but interesting all the same. I would say it is one of the best ways to spend your time...Fun AND Educational!!!

HH,

BH-LandStar

Again, thanks for all the advice. I went out tonight and did a few practice sweeps with a more level swing and set the adjusted the sensitivity a bit. I am gonna head out to my hunt club this weekend and hit at least one of the old home sites that are on the 3,000 acres we hunt. Should prove to be an interesting endeavour as I have hunted the property for 15 years and I don't ever remember seeing anyone else sweep the sites.

All but one can only be seen/noticed if you look real hard and try to make out the rock foundations and pay attention to the difference in the trees. A couple of the old home sites have cemeteries on them that can only be discerned by the older trees that the loggers can't cut down. I would never mess with the graves but I am itching to get at the home sites. If I find anything I will surely post the pics.

Like one of you said, some of the fun is in the research.

Marr,

Great to see you''ve found the site, now we can hang out on two forums together. Our Vikings site and here. If I can help you in any way, please feel free to ask. I'm going to try to increase my detecting this year also because of health reasons. I need to get out more and get some excersise....And believe me, you can get a real good workout during the right hunt.

I'm just happy to see you made it here and see that your posting already......

Next comes the fever......Digging Fever I call it...

Your buddy,

Ned TigerNed here at Find...