Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to Minelab Safari

metalviking

Hey everyone, new safari owner..ordered today...Have used Garrett 250/350....excited with the new one coming!

Welcome to the forum!! You picked a great detector!! Easy to use and a power house!!

Yeah, I have been reading this forum for about a week...Tons of knowledge and useful hints. It's frozen here in Minnesota..but when it thaws...watch out..lol. Already have permission to dig a farm property that has a train depot (1858-1911) Post office (1858-1950) a curch and a property that had a school in the early 1900's. To both owners..neither have been detected...so at least 40 years on each property....Can't wait!

Sounds like you have some great places lined up! You need to get Andy's Quattro and Safari book and read it some great info in there to help you master your new machine!!

Ordered his book today as well....Thanks to this site.

Welcome to the site. You are going about the Safari exactly correctly imo. Here's wishing you an early thaw!

Thanks Kin TN...hoping for an early spring. Winter is time to research and refine. Only in my 3rd year of MD'ing, But I'm addicted. Can't even imagine the stuff I passed up with my 250/350.....:blink:

Congratulations on your new detector. I changed from the 250 to the Safari about a month ago. You'll have fun.

Welcome to a fresh slate! Plenty of people here to help your journey.
HH,
Bunker

Do not get frustrated. Create a test plot and get some coins in it that will let you know the difference. Throw in some pop tops, bottle caps, rusty nails, maybe a piece of broken necklace. Seperate the objects and bury them allowing yourself to scan each and learn the music of the Safari. The tones you here will be the most dificult lesson. Use Andi's techniquest to set the Safari up for varius modes and learn the difference in the music...

Your going to get frustrated but perservere.... The machine you have will prove it's mettle but only if you stick with it...

Good luck...

I also recommend investing in a small coil if you plan on hunting any trashy sites! Better target seperation and less target masking!

Yep, next puchase is either th 6x8 or the 6"

A 6x8 SEF butterfly coil is a killer coil on these machines and loss of depth is very minimal with them.

DirtAngler said:
A 6x8 SEF butterfly coil is a killer coil on these machines and loss of depth is very minimal with them.
+1.

That's the way I was leaning was the 6x8. Also, what do you guys prefer with re chargables? Or just stay with standard AA's? My outings generally last minimum 4 hours when I go out..if not longer.

I use Eneloops with a MAHA charger cause I use AA's/AAA's in a lot of other devices around the house. Get about 15 hrs out of a set in the Safari.

Ok, I saw those at Costco....I think I will pick that up today. Thanks!!:detecting:

Note that there is a aftermarket Safari rechargable out now that is reportedly giving over 30hrs per charge. Pricey, but you shold look to see what fits your needs the best.

Picked up 16 batteries, two chargers for 40.00 at Costco. Enloops 1900

Thats the way I do it; keep 1 set in the Safari, 1 set in the truck as a backup. Spares with me if I am going far from the truck.
Dont forget a spare 9v for the pinpointer too!