Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to metal detecting, inherited a XP deus

skotm

Hello,
I recently had a family member pass away and inherited his unopened brand new xp deus. I have no clue what I am doing !!!

I tried using the basic 2 program and so far found a few steal pieces under my 1.5 foot thick packed gravel driveway, what a chore to dig up!. I get a few dings and such walking around my yard, but havent really had a chance to dig much yet (bad weather work schedule etc....

I have read allot about metal detecting every book I can get on my kindle) , watched a few you tube videos on the Deus, but feel I am at a disadvantage sicne this is a advanced metal detector and I am a beginner, I am afraid to play with setting suntil I know my machine.

I really dont know anything about metal detecting and I really want to learn. I just dont know if im doing it right.. In the videos it looks so easy, and they almost never find junk...

I have some pure gold and silver coins at home 1 troy ounce for each. In basic 2 they sound identical.. along with silver dimes, quarters and non silver ones...

Well what I am looking for is a true newbie guide or advice to the XP deus, or metal detecting in general... I dont know if this is the place to come to or if trial and error is my only option. I just cant find anything for a true newbie to the Hobie or this machine...

Thanks

skotm said:
In the videos it looks so easy, and they almost never find junk...

Lot of detecting videos lie or they just edit out the junk digging and often show just the good stuff being dug up, because i dont think you will enjoy watching minute after minute someone dig a boat load of junk and only few goodies.

If you want to find plenty of good stuff, you have to dig plenty of junk too, there is no easy way out.

Digging is one of the impediments to detecting for a newbie. Try to detect on a dry sand beach if possible...of course where people might have been.

One of the joys of this hobby is the unexpected nature of the finds. Will you find gold coins? Many of us have detected fir many, many years without find a single one...so that is not a very serious expectation...BUT you never know and I know of an individual in California who has found 13 gold coins on 13 different occasions.

Will you find silver coins. Yes that is almost a given...as long as you learn your machine and know where to look. Common coins make up the vast majority of our finds when we are newbies.

My point here is that you have to lower your expectations...especially in the beginning. As you improve your skills with your machine and your sleuthing skills to find detecting sites you may then raise those expectations up a bit.

Try to hook up with a fellow detectorist...or join a club. If you enjoy it you will be successful!

You have a great machine in the Deus.

Regards, Joe (California)

Thanks!

I was suposed to go to the outer banks in a week but after this storm who knows!! I dont want ot go digging this week because I cant shower after!

I have some good sights I think, my parents live in a house built in 1770's and was the first in the area only detected for about an hour by my brothers freind about 20 years ago, I also live in a house built in the 1950's and it was the first on the street. behind me is an abandonded road that used to run between towns but is all dirt now, ive slowly been bushwacking to get to the old farm house that is back thier over the last few years.

I am excited abotu this but .. god I dont know what i am doing!! I am a persistant learner though,

You are very fortunate,.you inherited a top of the line machine, one of the best. Since you are new to metal detecting, you won't have to unlearn anything. There is a learning curve to every machine, so don't get discouraged, it will take time. Go to a well used park and set up your machine in a basic program and just dig targets. You will learn the different tones, and numbers as time goes on.The manual doesn't provide all that much information, but read it and re-read it several times until you get an understanding of how the settings affect your detecting. Hands on experience along with the manual will help you as time goes on. Andy Sabisch is writing a book on the use of the Deus. I am not sure how soon it will be out, but it will be a must read for you and all Deus users. It will be very informative with loads of practical information on how to get the most out of your Deus. The Deus is not a complex machine and is easy to use. There are options to optimize your machine, but you can be very successful just using the pre-programmed settings. Good luck!

There are many posts with good advise and settings on this forum, take time and read them. It sounds as though you have several great sites to hunt. As mentioned above the Deus is a great detector and you are lucky to start with this unit. Start in basic 1 and take it from there. Make a test garden with different coins and some junk about 4 inches deep and check the sounds and display numbers of each target, this will help a lot. Good luck, and remember as previously mentioned, there is a learning curve to and detector.

It all comes together,go slow and steady. BTW, this is probably the best site to help you learn. You won't have any issues that one of us hasn't had, go back a hundred posts you will find the answer, if you don't see it, ask.

Thank you,
I was refered here by a private message from the frienldy metal detector forums.

I have been reading the old posts, im starting at page 21 or so (last page) and working forward. I cant take the machine out until I have power at home again, I want to be able to shower after digging around.

Skotm, You don't say where you are from but the shower issue leads me to believe that you are north like NJ, NY. I'm from NC and would be glad to get up with you and give you whatever help I can regarding detecting. I'mdon't know about the XP Deus other than what I've read but can probably figure it out. Anyway, best of luck with the power issue and give me a shout if you get down this way.

Wayne

I am from New Jersey.

With the power out I have been at my paretns hosue and got to use it on sunday.

They ahve hte house built in the 1700's

Well I dug up old beer cans burried in a fire pit (lol)
2 dimes from the 1990's (most likely my dads)
a Rusted hinge
about 15 nails.

I was using basic 2.

I will most likely be trying basic 1 next...

No luck on more coins .. I know they have to be out thier I jsut need to find them...

I

Doesn't look like we are getting power anytime soon, so quick tips:
Keep your profile on the horseshoe, helps ID iron also helps with depth.
Use 3 or 4 Tones and listen. Take some coins and bring them with you until you know those tones.
Bottle caps are a killer, but they mostly group in the same ID #, remember that number.
And most important...WATCH OUT FOR THE FREEKING WIRES. They are all over the place.

Stay warm and HH

Hope you have A LOT of patience, the Deus is not a beginners machine. Join a metal detecting club and try and find a experienced Deus owner to show you the basics.