Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to forum --- F70

smokinmark

Hello all. I am new to detecting. I bought an F-70 which seemed to be the best detector in my price range. I almost threw it out the window the first three days. Very noisy and chatty on factory settings! I moved the Disc up to 16 and changed Tone to Delta. Now I can find stuff! Man this thing will find deep targets! I buried a quarter edge on in my garden at 14 inches and it found it straight away. I have only gotten it to ground balance successfully twice. I don't understand that. My neighbors think I have lost my mind digging up the yard. I have read the manual I just wish I understood better how to adjust the settings.

SmokinMark from Montgomery AL

welcome to the forum
you have a great detector i use the f70 :thumbup:
just give it time & it will treat you right :super:

good hunting
walt

Mark I hear that you guys down there have some good clay soil that is rough on metal detectors. Try setting : Sens@ 45, Thres@ +5, Disc@ 20, Tones 2F. Change frequencies to see which is the quietest frequency. Radio Shack has an RF choke for about $5 that you can snap on the cable by the control box. Had to look it up and it is called Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core. See if AT mode will work with those settings?
I know as a beginner it can get mighty over whelming with what is going on at the moment. So many things that should work that don't work!!! and no one told me about this happening???
Mark you don't want to dig to China at first, you just want to get the feel of the detector. It will make lots of noise with the wrong settings. You just need the detector to handle easily at first so you can see what it is trying to pass along to you.
Hope this helps? Thanks for reading and Happy Trails...Z

The soil here is really diverse. Lots of red clay, lots of gravel, lots of black dirt. Can be some tough digging! The doctor said I needed more exercise so that's okay. I'm going to try the settings you mentioned. I talked to Kellyco and they were very helpful too. A friend of mine owns several hundred acres with fields, woods, and river beach. Unfortunately the heat index is like 115 during the day here so I can't go out for long. What do you think about a 10/12 SET coil?

Ya the weather hot here also. Not going out today. I don't know about the 10/12 coil. I am not a big fan of those real big coils. I am using the 11" and also have the 6.5. The 6.5 works very good. Another thing, if you have a second coil. Try that coil to see if you still have the noise and GB problem with the second coil?? The F70 can be adjusted to all kind of detecting conditions. I have always been able to hunt every site that I have gone to work. I have worked many sites in this area.
Mark it takes time to get the hang of a detector but if you stick to the F70 you will be rewarded. I have gone out 83 times this summer and it just gets more and more interesting on how much the F70 will show me what it can do in varying conditions. It rained 5" in one day here, that is close to 2 months worth of rain. I had to use the F70 with very different setting to make it work. That is why I sent you the Sens@45 and Thres@ +5,6,7 or?? You have to try different settings for you area.
Thanks for reading and HH. Happy Trails....Z

hi guys...just bought myself a Fisher F70, l`ve used the Teknetics T2 and Fisher f75 previously.l mention this as l`m used to hearing some sort of noise when l turn the machine on...this F70 is totally silent, no beeps or anything, is this normal for this machine?

The only time it makes a noise is when its set up, but start up is silent?

Thanks in advance,

Karl in Grantham ,UK.

planetaryjunkman said:
hi guys...just bought myself a Fisher F70, l`ve used the Teknetics T2 and Fisher f75 previously.l mention this as l`m used to hearing some sort of noise when l turn the machine on...this F70 is totally silent, no beeps or anything, is this normal for this machine?

The only time it makes a noise is when its set up, but start up is silent?

Thanks in advance,

Karl in Grantham ,UK.

Mine is quiet for about 10 seconds after I turn it on.

zeekeys said:
Mark I hear that you guys down there have some good clay soil that is rough on metal detectors. Try setting : Sens@ 45, Thres@ +5, Disc@ 20, Tones 2F. Change frequencies to see which is the quietest frequency. Radio Shack has an RF choke for about $5 that you can snap on the cable by the control box. Had to look it up and it is called Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core. See if AT mode will work with those settings?
I know as a beginner it can get mighty over whelming with what is going on at the moment. So many things that should work that don't work!!! and no one told me about this happening???
Mark you don't want to dig to China at first, you just want to get the feel of the detector. It will make lots of noise with the wrong settings. You just need the detector to handle easily at first so you can see what it is trying to pass along to you.
Hope this helps? Thanks for reading and Happy Trails...Z

Hey I got that RF choke from RS. I put it on the cable right below the control box. It made a major difference. I started in SL mode, gain and threshold all the way up today in the back yard. Had to back off a little but not much. Next step is an SETF coil.

Mark,

I am in the process of buying an F70, but I am kind of on the fence at the moment (can't decide F2 or F70). Consider yourseld fortunate to be frustrated. The F70 is sweetttttto.