Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to etrac

robertoates2000

Hiya people. I've recently upgraded to the etrac from the xs. It's given me the same headache I had when I first got the xs. I used to use mainly the multi tones and id nos but the id nos seem to jump around so much with this machine. I'm thinking of trying the ttf as I prefer ferrous sounds anyway. How has everyone else got on with the move to this detector? Cheers rob.

it was tough for me, coming from an old 1985 whites 6000.....it takes time to really get to know it.....one peice of advice, the numbers are always jumpy.....use your ears primarily, not your eyes....listen for the tones.....focus on the tones.....your looking for repeatability.....occasional non-repeatabel squaking is just iron chatter....

it is an EXTREMELY sensitive and good detector....its worth the investment of your time to master it...its a lot of fun once you get to know it and understand it.....it can be frustrating at first.

TTF is great but do not compromise the ability of the E-Trac with a few settings. Try them all and you WILL find something that works for you in the area you hunt in. Take time to learn everything you can about how your machine works and you will be surprised at what your E-Trac can find. HH :minelab:

If you have bought a New ET and not a duff secondhand machine then its probably settings or interference from something in the ground or are you testing it near a TV , radio or something ?
I have used the Explorer XS , 11 , SE and the ET since they came out and they are pretty much perfect .

Tell us your settings and what your screen looks like then we can help more.

Hiya. Thanks for the advice. I've been out today and had a lot more success with the ttf. A lot quieter . It is a second hand machine but only 18 months old according to the seller. Going by today I think you are all along the right lines in that it takes time and of coarse I am a little impatient. With the xs I programed a few coins and a ring or 2 in and looked just for them. Now I'm trying out having a clear screen and doing it the hard way. It's a big learning curve and I've got a terrible memory which really doesn't help. Does anyone have any advice in settings for a trashy beach? Mainly trash like coke cans, ring pulls, tent pegs, foils off plastic bottles, tin foil etc.

I will get back to you on the beach settings in a day or two , working tomorrow and on the beach with ET Tuesday so sort after then .
I have a few beach program's but you must never cancel out the non ferrous trash , goodies hide amongst them and you will miss them if discrimed.

You will need to post a lot more before I can send my program's as messages to you.

Get posting lots , might be 20 or so ?

Cheers nuke em. I went down to the beach last eve set up with the stock jewlery pattern. That suited me a lot! The only thing it struggled on was a dodgy signal on a pound coin. Thinking about it it was probably one of the gold clad ones. But overall cut out a lot of junk.

All the ET pre set screens are rubbish as far as I am concerned , they are learner material only . To get the best you have to hear nearly all and rev it up a bit .

Cant treat a Formula 1 car like a Morris Minor .

The thing is where I go is a really popular beach. If I had a penny for every bit of foil or bottle top, being there is a pub on the beach, available to find I'd be a very rich man. I Guess I'm going to be really good eventually at spotting a good target from a bad one.

robertoates2000 said:
I've just been playing with air tests and it seams that silver isn't picked up on the minelab jewlery program? Can this be right?

What kind of silver is that?
Never using any of the stock patterns, offhand i would think the jewelry pattern should pick up all silver coins and the vast majority of silver jewelry.
Some certain small silver jewelry like split hoop earrings or split rings depending on shape and size, maybe not or be iffy at best.

If i were hunting a beach, i'd probably start out with an open pattern with a little iron discrimination. Yes, a lot of aluminum junk will be dug up but thats where the gold is hiding at.

robertoates2000 said:
The thing is where I go is a really popular beach. If I had a penny for every bit of foil or bottle top, being there is a pub on the beach, available to find I'd be a very rich man. I Guess I'm going to be really good eventually at spotting a good target from a bad one.

Which beach is it ? or what part of the country?

Not sure what grade of silver it is it just has silver stamped on it on the inside of the ring. The more I'm reading the more I'm understanding the hunting with an open screen bit. How much iron mask I'm guessing would you think to be appropriate?

robertoates2000 said:
Not sure what grade of silver it is it just has silver stamped on it on the inside of the ring. The more I'm reading the more I'm understanding the hunting with an open screen bit. How much iron mask I'm guessing would you think to be appropriate?

When I hunt in QuickMask using TTF I usually keep my screen wide open. Sometimes I will discrim from 20 down on the FE.