Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new safari

TNHunter

Just traded for new safari today. Changed from Whites M6 that I have used for a few years and has been great machine. Tried it out for about hour today but its going to take some time to get used to. It is a different animal for sure! Any suggestions on how to learn new machine? Going to have to get used to different numbers on display as they are different than VDI I am used to.
Paul

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

Rule #1: Ignore the numbers- the Safari is an audio machine. Well, I know that for us curious folks that actually isnt possible (i'm a charter member of the Leave No Coin Behind program) but do so as much as you can. I have gotten the delicate flutey quarter tone at a LOT of different TIDs.

#2: get Andy Sabich's book and learn it. Also read all the threads here as there is a S-Ton of info buried in most every thread. Not everything about Safari use is chiseled in stone and you will see different opinions on many things. Try them all and use what works for You and Your style of hunting/hunting grounds.

What I recommend to new Safari users:

Go basic and learn incrementally. Trying to learn the Safari all at once is too much for the most experienced detectorist. Set to Auto Sensitivity, High Trash(unless its not of course), All Metal or Relic mode, and swing level and slow (you can speed up more than most folks think as you learn how your machine acts when you do- but learn slow first).

Blackout everything except 14,15,36,37,38,39. This gives you silver and all US coins except (most) zincs. Learn those SOUNDS. If you want, drop the 14,15 as all you will lose is nickels. If you want, you can leave more #s open and just not dig outside those recommended ranges. But if youre anything like I was while learning my Safari, it drove me crazy not knowing. I was hearing (and mostly digging) so much trash, I wasnt learning my machine and not having near as much fun as I should.

Gradually add range (unblack numbers) as you master the ones you have open.

While doing all this learn your machines pinpointing modes, its variability in different soils and soil moisture levels.

If you are hunting the beach or where there is very little trash (defined as your not minding digging it) you can open it up wide or just kill the negative #s.

Paul I have forgotten where you are located, but if you are ever in my area I'd be glad to hunt with you and show you what I (dont) know about the Safari.

thanks for the info! I am in East TN Kingsport area. After years on a White's it will take a lot a retraining my brain not to rely on those numbers. LOL
Paul

Thanks for uploading your recommendations. . I think I made up my mind and going for a Safari. I have done research for the past month or so and have considered the AT Pro and the XTerra 705. It is in all the posts that the research is done. I do not put a lot of faith in my input, since I am ignorant when it comes to deciding. I know what others know, which is also difficult since we add our own opinions and bias to the fact.