Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Port RichieFLA detecting question

Roman44

I am going to FLA soon near New Port Richie, and will travel to the ocean. I think I will try my luck at a place called Honeymoon beach. Does anyone know of this spot, and is metal detecting allowed there? Thank you.

Honeymoon Island is a state park and the first time that I went there I did not bring out the detector but just cased the beaches. Saw lots of people go shelling there so the next time I went I brought my dry salt sand detector and only went to the more secluded beaches. Costs $8 to get in;
I was up on the causeway to Island a few days ago but did not pay to go to the park as it was the end of the day..
Lots of varieties snakes on the Island including Rattlers so you have to be careful as the arm is the most common place to be bitten by a rattler. Stick to beaches and you will be fine but no 2 cup headphones off the beaches!

Minas man

After detecting the waters of Honeymoon Island with no problem for a couple years, we were told by a ranger last summer (2013) that..."we could only detect the dry sand from the dune lines to the surf line."

You can detect on the beach at Honeymoon from the dune line to low tide. Don't put your foot in the water though. I had my foot in the water and the ranger stopped me and said I could not touch the water. You can bet I had a conversation with that guy. You can't detect from the dunes to the parking lot either. Know that beach gets really busy in the summer. Go really early or the sand will be full of people. Also, if you swim there be sure to bring water shoes. The bottom in most areas is cobble rock depending on the sand movement. It is not really a good swimming beach but people do. People have water detected there and if you don't see a ranger you get away with it. Got to be lots of gold out there.

The causway leading to the park is city of Dunedin. You can detect along that stretch in the water if you water hunt. The dry or wet sand is full of pull tabs.