Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New owner of an old Fisher LF-960D

n4ue

Hi. I recently purchased a couple of older Fishers from eBay. They are in great condition and were easy to restore/clean-up.
I have a question concerning the batteries used in the 960.....

The detector has 2 of the typical 9V battery connectors, and even has a 'clip' on the inside of the battery door, which appears to hold 2 of the 9V batteries.
Almost all the rest of my vintage collection uses holders for 6 AA batteries. There is a LOT of empty space inside and I plan to use a battery holder which holds 6 AAs.
I would prefer the 'long' style which is 2 wide X 3 long, but these appear to be impossible to find. I have a bunch of the 3 wide X 2 high, with the connectors.

The actual question is (sorry about the long narrative), did Fisher actually intend for this model to be powered by the two 9 volt batteries?

Didn't seem it would run very long......

Thanks!

ron

I have a and LF-990 it was my first detector some 30 something years ago. I was a lower level TR-VLF detector but it turned out to be hot on silver. The batteries 2-9volts and they last very a very long time, the thing to remember is one battery ran the Transmit and receive side of the detector and the other ran the audio, the audio battery give out first, but still lasted a long time so I would replace that more time then the other. Also when the ground made it hard to sweep in DISC.mode I would use reverse discrimination, that was the best way of Disc because tuned the detector to the object, worked fantastic, if it was in your disc. range it it was very rarely wrong. You can still get the long 6 batt. pack, I posted the place on here a couple of times. Your the first one I've seen with that detector besides me. It was a great little machine. Here's a good question, do you have the manual?

That sure brings back memories! It was adapted from an earlier Jack Gifford design, but I think the adaptation was done by an engineer who was with the company briefly after Jack left to form Tesoro and before I showed up, never met him myself and don't remember the guy's name. The product was introduced approx. 1980.

I went to work for Fisher in early February 1981. The factory was shut down for a month because there were no orders to fill. (If I'd known that when I was interviewed, I wouldn't have taken the job. So, good thing they kept me in the dark.)

Plus, there was another major issue. There was this approx. $200 entry level LF/TR that worked really good by the standards of that time. It caught on quick, not just in the USA but also in England. Problem: the searchcoils drifted. They left the factory good and when they were sold to a customer a few weeks or months later, they didn't work. Huge warranty situation. Had to recall 'em. It turned out that we could rebalance them with a little piece of steel (piece of a paper clip? I don't remember exactly what it was) installed in a little hole and then covered up. By then the drift had stabilized, so we could reship them and they stayed good.

The episode was a disaster. But we made good on it, which helped to repair the damage we'd done to our reputation. COHU (the company who owned the "Los Banos Fisher") kept Fisher alive through those dismal days and even funded development of a new-from-the-ground-up machine, the 1260-X. We introduced that approx. April 1982, and the rest is history.

You never answered if you have the manual.

Hi Shooter, No, I don't have the manual. Finding old manuals is a real PITA.
I've found some info on line, but all 3 of my high end color laser printers are down.......

regards

ron

I got one for my LF-990D, tried for 3 years nothing then a couple of months ago I emailed this guy who had 1 in AUS. and he told me he found the last copy he had after he said he couldn't find it ,I miss place mine, so I bought it from him as far as me and him this is like the last known copy. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy. Love helping people.

There is a collection of manuals here on "Find's Treasure Forums" that can be viewed at the following:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,331750

I shared a copy of my 1235-X manual there by scanning it and sending it to Find's member JB(MS) via e-mail...
This would be a great spot for the copy you have shooter...

Robert