Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

massdigr

Hello all,

New member here, but i have been enjoying reading your posts for about two months. I have received some good info from you all. I just bought a Quattro.And I was wondering if i could get some input on an alternative coil other than the 10.5 stock. What do you think of the 8 inch ? And would i lose any depth ? Looking forward to posting some finds as soon as i get some:clapping::Happy hunting to all.

rick,

Rick
I'm fairly new to the Quattro also and I did the same thing you are doing now when I first got the Quattro.At first the 10.5 coil gave me some trouble( or better yet I had some trouble with, the coil is great)because it is to large to separate targets that are close together.I went to an 5 inch coil for target separation purposes and had great results.At first also if you swing that 10.5 coil much you will feel it in your arm and shoulder because that sucker is HEAVY.This passed in time as I built up strength from using it.Check out the Sun Ray and Excellerator 5" coils on the market for the Quattro.These coils are not so heavy obviously and have great target separation capabilities that helped me in getting familiar with the Quattro.I opted out of the 8" for now because I wanted a range of coils 5" 10" and 15" for a wide range of detecting purposes dictated by conditions.I hunt in some really trashy areas(5"coil)some not so trashy areas(10.5 coil) and some beach area 15" WOT.This does not always hold true but it was a good start and I can experiment with the other coils at the different sites to gain knowledge on what to expect out of them.In the future (soon I hope) I'm going to go with the JOEY Coil(5X10)for some tighter areas that I can't get the 10.5(round) coil into.
This will give you some food for thought for now. Get back with us on what you decide and how it preforms.At first I learn something new almost daily about the Quattro from either using various coils or reading post here. There is some really good stuff from some really experienced people here on the site.I take full advantage of the Info here and it has really shortened the learning curve for me on the Quattro.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Warriorwon

I would suggest you buy a sunray probe X1 as it will help you find targets in your dig holes. In fact, I recommend this over any coil upgrade as can save you time and frustration of not finding my targets - some metal fragments my Quattro gets me to dig are really small :)

you are right that it is much easier to learn with a smaller coil...both the 8 inch and after market 5 inch coil are good choices. Most targets aren't in the eight inch or more range so don't think you will miss out too much if you get the 8 inch coil. The smaller sunray X5 coil will give you the best target separation and is best to work the trashy sites.