Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New member here.... With 'dumb' questions...

n4ue

Hi, just found this Site. All I can say is WOW!!!
I'm a retired EE and been a ham for 50+ years. My hobbies include collecting ham radios and test equipment. I have over 2 dozen oscilloscopes. Why? Dunno, just like buying them and fixing them....
I built my first metal detector back as a Science Fair project in 1962 (wow, that was a LONG time ago!). It was a simple BFO style and even with a 24" diameter coil, worked pretty good.

Back in the 80s, I built a Heathkit GD-1290. It worked great. Ex-wife got it, but I kept the manual. I ran across the manual a few weeks ago and thought I'd buy another detector.
I found one on eBay that didn't work (cheap) and been working on it ever since...... I doubt if the builder ever got it to work due to poor solder joints, etc. Recently, I found a Heathkit GD-1190 (also cheap, but I love a challenge). It had some minor issues and I just got it working.
The GD-1290 uses 7.2 KHz like the new models..... It's working, kinda.......At least all the ICs etc are still available.

I recently purchased a few older ones as well, a C&G and a Garrett. Gee, I thought manuals for old ham equipment was hard to come by!
At least there are radio manual vendors that have copies, reasonably priced.

Here's the 'dumb' questions:

- Any company that sells the manuals for the older models?
- Where the heck do all 'old manuals' go?? !!!!
- Anyone out there own, used, threw away, one of these old Heathkits?
- I'm in the market for a 'new' one, Has anyone used a Garrett GTI 2500 next to a Garrett ACE 250?
I was thinking about the 2500, but the reviews say it's 'long in the tooth', 'and the display is 'just bells and whistles', and the 250 has a great reputation.
I KNOW about ROI... ha ha
- My buddy has a couple of homes in Daytona Beach and though it would a nice way to relax and chill.

Thanks in advance......

ron
N4UE

Whoops, typo. I meant to say 7200 KHz or 7.2 MHz....

ron

You can find many of the manuals on line or ask about the ones your looking for.
http://jb-ms.com/Detectors/Manuals/

As for comparing Garretts go directly to the Garrett forum.
The 250 is entry level, most folks upgrade shortly after buying.
2500 is heavy, deep in all metal mode, average in disc mode, old design, there are alternative detectors out there
that could be a better choice overall.

Sven, a HUGE thank you! I was having a senior moment about the operating frequency of the Heathkit GD-1290. It is indeed:

7.3 KHz.

The GD-1190 is 55 KHz.......

I guess that's what happens when you are repairing 4 at a time!

tnx agn

ron

Sven, thank you again for a reply! It means a lot for a newcomer to these forums. I had found the link you provided, which is excellent, but didn't provide a Manual for my C&G... I had found it earlier using Google.....
I just finished refurbishing my C&G yesterday and although it appears to work great, I still like to have Manuals for all my stuff......
BTW, although I can't verify his, it appears that Heathkit/other mfgs used similar circuits in their products.
I just purchased the GTI 2500 and if it doesn't meet my criteria, I have a money back gurantee.
I was REALLY torn between the ACE 250 and the 2500 especially at 4X the price!

However at my age, I want the best I can acquire from this particular seller.
As an owner of several hundred pieces of ham radio equipment/test equipment, I've never been dissapinted in high quality.

I have already built a 'test board', with every possible metal on it. It surprised me when the older Heathkit was (so far) better than the competition.....

I have an older Garrett "deepseeker" on the way, so it might be a great 8 MD shootout (if anyone cares).... ha ha

thanks again......

ron

Just happened to be surfing around and by chance came upon your missives.....whenever you don't have anything better to do...ha,ha...look into the Nautilus brand metal detectors....if you surf the site enough, you will note a lot of messages re the coil, and the mystery of " coil balancing "...as an EE...perhaps you may shed some light on this phenomenon. I would be most interested in any comment you may have....my dad, long passed, was an EE, and W4JYR...I did not follow in his footsteps, but enjoyed his activities....I'm an old guy, now, but still learning every day...73...