Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new member...first post... ACE 250

jarviss

first post here!
i always wanted a metal detector when i was younger but we could never get one...
anyway...im much older now and just bought my daughter (she's 13) her very own metal detector.
she said she too always wanted one (little did i know)
the ACE 250....i've lurked the forum a bit and from what i hear she should have some fun.

we're gonna hit the beach in santa cruz friday night and saturday morning.
wish us luck!!! first time out with her.

i took it out at the construction jobsite today to test it out....we were looking for some construction staking pins that were buried by traffic/weeds/etc.
we looked and looked, found scrap metal from the jobsite, nails of course...but could *NOT* find the pins.
my very first time holding a real metal detector and i really wanted to "help out" on the jobsite.
LOL
finally the superintendant walks up and says "they didn't put the pins on..its just wood stakes"
LOL

anwyay...wish us luck for this weekend!
-G

[size=x-large]Great Detector often underated ! take care and most importantly have a good time .... GoodLuck " HH" [/size]

Have a great time and good luck..what a great way to spend time with your daughter. Be prepared for her to consider detecting "uncool" in a couple of years, but in the meantime, have fun. HH Sapper.

I have the 250 also. You will love it! It has taken me a while to figure out all the settings but once you have them down it is dead on.. I mainly look for coins and when your in coin mode it is the easiest thing to use. Makes it hard to miss a coin. I also purchased the Garrett pinpointer last year but couldnt use it till this spring. I received a defective one at first. Sent it in and got a new one. It is OK but not really what I was expecting and sometimes reads incorrect and needs to be shut off and turned back on. It makes detecting alot fastest and you dont have to dig great big plugs. Just a thought for down the road for you

thank you all so much for the replies!

the good thing is that the detector takes exactly the same size and quantity of batteries as her video game controller!
LOL

:clapping:

-G

Welcome! Always good to have one more!

well..we didn't get to santa cruz till much later than expected friday night.
the daughter went to bed in our hotel so me and my girl went down to the beach.
we saw a cop and asked what was up with the beaches at night.
he said, "state parks (beach) close at 10pm, but the beach at the boardwalk never closes.
i asked if we could metal detect there, he said it was fine.
anyway...the sand was cold for the girlfriend...i was just excited to try it out.
(we didn't read the manual or watch the DVD yet....) LOL
so we had the sensitivity on high....so it was going off all the time...even if we held it 3 feet above the ground..so we lowered it down to about the middle and it calmed down.
we dug in a spot...nothing (we weren't prepared...no flashlight....we just were excited to get some action out of it)
anyway....found a pulltab...we were so excited to find *anything* that we kept it....but 50 feet away....she lost it. LOL
it was funny that we were so upset about losing our first found object....

anyway...we found a penny...nothing special..just a penny then a bottle cap. LOL we kept them.
the next day we had other things planned so we totally didn't get to go out with the daughter :(
we're gonna go the park today as soon as she's ready.

the girlfriend and i already went to the park and found a steel ball...(bearing? maybe..its kinda big)...a washer of some sort...lotsa foil...a beat up penny....and the end of a pencil..where the eraser is....we also kept hitting a "nickel" signal 6" down...couldn't find anything..finally we found it..it was like a cable (yellow colored) looked like coaxial cable..but some other type..not sure....

as soon as the daughter is ready, she knows of an old house "supposedly haunted" that we'll ask her to take us to.

\wish us luck
-G
-

Detecting takes a lot of practice and it isn't a "piece of cake." It takes a good number of hours in the field to familiarize yourself with your machine and to learn its quirks and what it is telling you. You picked a dandy detector to start out with and it should reward you well. I'm one of Garrett's field testers and tested the 250 prototype and production model so I know how good it is.

Bill

Maybe you're doing something wrong with the PP or it could be defective. Have you read the field tests over on my Garrett Forum here at Findmall? I field tested the proto and production model. Everyone I know of that has purchased one is tickled pink with it.

Bill

When it comes to an entry level detector, The Ace 250 is Tops ! Lots of fun,and has a quick learning curve.Just remember,Dig all your hits !

Lovely icon,, tried to squish it a few times before it gave up its secret.... He He

Welcome and good luck!

You were understandably excited to get started detecting, but I would suggest you read the manual and watch the DVD.

Then when you get another chance, do it again. And again. The more you know the machine the more good stuff you'll find.

Hopefully that old haunted house will have some good finds under the ground for both of you.

yes, we finally watched the DVD adn read the manual.
we now have the hang of it....the girl used it in the park and found herself a nickel and some pennies.
i had to explain to her how when people open a pack of cigs...that top piece of foil is *EVERYWHERE*.

she's good at it!
she likes it too!

thanks for all your help and kind words!
-G