Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New info on these finds. Thanks

CliffHanger

Found these three items in the same area as the bullet and button pictured in my last posting. Hope they are Civil War.
I'd like to know if the button is genuine and what the letter on it is. It is about the size of a nickel.
The pin or badge has two crossed muskets and they spin around. It is about the size of a quarter.
Pix show front and back of button and pin or badge.
The patch holder end for a gun cleaning rod looks to be brass or maybe copper. It is larger then .22 size but not by very much.

Thanks again

CliffHanger
[attachment 32695 ButtonFront.JPG][attachment 32696 ButtonBack.JPG][attachment 32697 CrossGunsF.JPG][attachment 32698 DSCN1630.JPG][attachment 32699 GunCleaner.JPG]

The crossed rifle pin is a US Army Infantryman class A dress uniform insignia. It is most likely less than 50 years old. By the condition' I'd guess about 1970- 1980.

The Script I Button is a bit different story. While it appears to be a cast piece, It just does not look right. I live on a major CW Battlefield. A few years ago, one smart alek neighbor got the bright idea to buy and bury handfuls of re-enactor reproduction buttons, and belt plates in the nearby woods. He has since sold the land to a developer for a new subdivision. That leaves the local relic hunters thinkingthey have a good find when in fact it is just a reproduction.

For the patch puller, I got noting on that. It looks modern as well.

The button is indeed a solid-cast one, and it's definitely a very recent reproduction made for civil war re-enactors. It's a copy of a British-made Confederate infantryman's button (the Old-English Script letter I on the button stands for Infantry) ...but the civil war era original was a two-piece (hollow sheet-brass) button, not solid-cast like this reproduction is. I've been a civil war re-enactor for many years, so trust what I'm saying about this item, please.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy [PCGeorge]

These two buttons were found together. On the front it says: VIRGINIA SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS. On the back it says: SUPERIOUR QUALITY. The buttons are hollow.
The park I found the buttons and the mini ball (bullet) pictured in an earlier post were found in the same park. This park is the site of a yearly Civil War reenactment where hundreds attend.

Thanks

CliffHanger
[attachment 33038 CivilButtonsFront.JPG][attachment 33039 CivilButtonsBack.JPG]

I was a civil war re-enactor for many years ...and I still own some of those exact same buttons. If it's any consolation to you, I myself dug one of that kind, long ago, on the Savage Station battlefield. They apparently date back to the 1961-65 Civil War Centennial re-enactments era. So they're now about 40 years old, but nonetheless, absolutely definitely reproductions.

By the way... here's a photo of ONE type (there are others) of genuine civil war era "Superior Quality" backmark. Note the difference in the way the words are positioned, in comparison to your buttons' backmark. This particular form is the one used on 1861-65 British-made buttons imported through the yankee naval blockade by the Confederacy.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy [PCGeorge]