Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEW IDEA I think this might actually work :bouncy:

lilmax25

This is a crazy :crazy: idea but have any of you bought a big magnet (not like refridgerator magnets but big ones) and just stuck it in the hole or plug and let the metal come to you?!?!??

I think it just might work! what do you think?

lil' ol' ladies and babies would be doing it! haha, that's pretty good, lilmax. it's almost as good as detecting railroad tracks with headphones on! yeeesh! but, i dunno lilmax...have you tried rare earth magnets yet? they might do better. hh!

You know,, I have thought about getting one of those high powered magnets, and dragging it across your hunt site to remove the surface iron
I mostly detect old home sites, and there's is plenty of iron around to mask targets
Square nails, stuff like that

Tim

Now if you could invent something that would collect all those pesky pull tabs
from the surface or near surface you would be in business :bouncy:

Terri

Sounds like a good idea, but I doubt it would work. The magnet probably couldn't generate enough pull to bring an item through the dirt, to the surface. Too much resistance. Also not sure if rusted steel and iron has the same magnetic qualities, that a fresh piece of metal would. But one of those electro magnets, like they have in a junk yard, probably has enough power to pull your neighbors car right out of his garage. That might work:clapping:

Tell you what, you figure out how to suck a bowling ball threw a garden hose, and maybe we can modify it to suck a tin can threw 14" of hard packed dirt :) You're thinking though !!!

I was talking a 3lb. 250lb pull magnet, and tie it to a rope, and drag it,
A lot of the home sites I hunt are freshly disc-ed after removal
the ground is soft, and you can see the iron sometimes.
But I think I'm liking the Electro - Magnet idea better now:smoke:

Tim

The electro-magnet ain't a bad idea! You could mount one on the back of 3/4 ton pickup and work the construction sites. With a rig like that, you could forget metal detecting and go into the junk iron business! Hey, I'll have to think about this.

Tom Massey from the "gold Prospecting" show has put one on his digging tool,
his say that way if it is iron it well stick to his digging tool and he know that it is iron
other wise it is some thing else... like Gold lol.