Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New hobby

relic-hunter

Well now that I have been out 4 times with the new Garrett, I can say that I am liking my new hobby. How many other hobbies let you come home with pocket change? It will take some time to pay off the m-d with pocket change. But I figure I will find a gold ring or two long before that, and that would probably be enough to pay of or close to pay of the detector. But hunting is almost addictive.

Hi Relic,

Metal detecting various places fits many agendas.

If you hope to pay for the machine, it will be persistence or luck that will do it!

HH

I used to race electric RC cars. I flew RC planes. I even tried a RC helicopter I built. I wasted thousands of dollars! All I did was spend money on the next best thing. I had and have nothing to show for it. That was over 24 years ago. A detector lasts a lot longer than a RC toy. Plus you can at the very least make battery money.

n/t

Sounds a lot like me. I used to be big into largemouth bass fishing, I spent thousands on "stuff" i.e. junk to catch more and bigger fish. Never put a dime back into my pocket. I used to run r/c cars too. Never paid for itself. Tried stamp collecting never had anything worth any money. While m-d ing may take a while to pay off the machine with pocket change at least it puts something in my pocket.

I know what your talking about. Some of the largest fish are caught on a night crawler. I do have one nice bait caster and a few Zebco 33's. But they last a long time. Plus I eat the fish so I guess they are making me money.

Fishing?

I've been advised that the Good Lord does not take away from your time on earth that you spend fishing.
Not-with-standing, the local fellow who died when a whale breached, and landed on his boat!

Fishing rod n' reel strapped to the handlebars of my Harley, searching for remote access to the backside of a fishing lake is what got me back into prospecting and mining in the early 80's... Off roading with the old hog, over hill and dale, came over a rise hoping to find the lake and bwalaah! ... miners in a stream with Keene suction dredges. HAD to get me one of those! Far better than drywashers in the desert in years gone past!

Most all the mining equipment is gone except MD's and a couple pans...

As things change, I've got a pickup truck bed full of fishing tackle that hasn't been used in too long.
Once had 13 boats! Big plans of a lakeside concession the govt didn't quite agree with...

Began planning a commercial fishing venture, with a couple other weekend commando buddies, once...
Govt restrictions on Pacific fishing clamped that right off!

With the cost of fish at the market today, it might be possible to get your $'s back with a rod n' reel and small boat...

But there's not really an option of a spectacular reward, like there is with metal detecting.

I should do more of BOTH!