Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New forum member going to the beach 1st time.

rolkat

I'm going to the LA area beach detecting on the 4th of July. I'm taking an Explorer II and a Whites DFX. Are there any special settings I should use? How deep should I expect to be digging? This will be my first time on a beach since I was 8 years old. Are there any special rules I should know about?

Thanks,
---Rolkat---
From Arizona

Relax and enjoy the scenery while you plunder the sand.......Take many photos and tell us about your adventure. HH GregM PS Sorry don't know those machines..

do not raise it up high.........water will run down the shaft and into the circuitry. I don't know about the Whites but the Explorer may be your best bet on a California beach.

Hey Rolkat,

If you're hunting the LA or Orange county beaches. Check out the websites for the different beach cities. The beaches that do offer more finds is the ones with the fourth of July firework shows. In LA county: Santa Monica Beach, Redondo Beach. In Orange county: Huntington Beach. Those are the only ones I can recall. But I sure there could be other beaches that operate firework shows. There will be a lot of competition for the sand goodies left behind. Even the beach sand cleaning machines are doing a better job than ever! Certain beaches are inforcing curfews. So stay ahead of their schedule. So plan well!

Good hunting!- Max

rolkat, if you don't already own one you my want to invest in a long handle scoop if you plan to go in more than ankle deep water. Read all the warning sign for rip tides and such. Enjoy your time at the beach, I can't imagine going for a month without seeing the Gulf or Ocean, but I do love the Mountain scenery also.Main thing have fun. HH

rolkat, maybe you know it as rip current or undertow. When the out going current gets real strong do to a washout along the bottom. It can pull you out against your will, have been caught in two over the years. Look up rip current on the net and it will tell you how to avoid getting in that situation.
The long handle scoop is just that, a scoop with a handle 42 to 48 inches in length. You don't have to kneel or bend over to dig. If you are in the water with a non waterproof unit it makes it less likely to get your unit wet. Your local dealer can get you one.

Thank you Pa-Pa. I looked it up on the internet. I did not know there was such a thing. You may have saved my life. I think I'll strap an inner tube to my butt just in case.

---Rolkat---