Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new excal , lots of dirty coins!

koki

Hello everyone,
I got my new excal 2 weeks ago and had my first chance to get out and give it a good go this week. By pure chance, I picked a beach that had been hammered by big waves over the weekend and had left a big cutout at high water mark . I concentrated on the area close to the cutout and where the flags would normally be set up in the summer. Had a great few hours on Monday so went back yesterday and again today. In total 10 hours hunting turned up 164 coins ( 19 predecimals including 3 florins & 6 shillings ) , 3 rings ( one gold with small diamonds (?) & 2 silver; all very old ). I think I've recovered every 1 cent piece lost on that beach since 1966 . Amazing thing was absence of rubbish; only found 4 ringpulls, no bottle caps or foil and lots of sinkers. Seems the big waves cleaned out all the junk. My question is , how do I clean up all these clad coins, most of which are barely identifiable because of the corrosion. I've tried the salt & vinegar treatment with limited success ( though that seems to do a good job on the old silver coins ) I'm wondering if anyone's tried an ultrasonic cleaning machine on badly corroded coins ( might work on jewellery too?) , or is a coin tumbler the only way to go? I know the coins are worth nothing, but theyr'e all part of the collection!

I've never had much luck cleaning coins with an ultrasonic cleaner. Perhaps mine wasn't an expensive one as I'm told they work better. Tumbler's your best option with aquarium gravel and some washing up liquid and water. Couple of hours, good as new, kinda.

Salt and vinegar works but leaves a film on the coins. Might as well just get a small brass brush and rub the coins clean with that and ordinary water. I use a small piece of rubber which holds the coins in place, but if you've got lots of coins to do, it takes ages!

Heres a good page for some cleaning hints my friend. Great work on your haul...looter!

http://gometaldetecting.com/cleaning-finds.html

Theres even a link about build your own electrolysis....great for really cruded over stuff!

Its their way of keeping anyone from talking about anyone other than a sposor...in this case it doesnt do anything since it was only a page of how to clean your finds...lol

Thanks to you both for that feedback and the link, that site was very helpful Just wondering if your'e familiar with the different types of tumblers. Rotating tumblers seem to be a bit rougher ( but cheaper ) than the vibrating tumblers. Don't want to spend too much, but dont want to tumble the face off the coins either!

And occasionally a moderator will wipe a two page thread, imply that your an idiot and then not have the decency to reply to your request to clarify exactly where you erred.

Lou.

hi koki good to hear ya getting out & finding loot :thumbup:.
i use a cheep rock tumbler it was $30 i put in a hand full of small stones a squirt of dish washing fluid & half fill the drum with coins then run it for 1-2 hours for silvers & 30 min for $1-$2 then stop it pull the clean coins out & repeat the proses with the uncleaned coins until all the coins are clean :thumbup: don't get to fussy though as some 50c-20c-10c-5c will have a red color in the low spots i just bag these coins & bank them the $1-$2 coins clean up real nice quite quickly.
with my pre d silver i use electrolysis pre 46 come up nice but the post 46 can get a pink color to them from the higher copper content this is also a great way to clean your black silver rings.
hope this helps
lazyaussie