Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Excal II turn's Silver than to PAIN

Bigfoot

Took the new Excal II with 10in coil out for its first voyage to the beach. Had a great time, and found some clad and nice little silver bracelet. Than came the PAIN, I was hit by a sting ray for the 2nd time in 7 months. This sting is only about 1 1/2" away from the sting in got in October. Here is a picture of the area by my right ankle where I got Stung.
The one on the right is from October of 2007. One on the left is today May 31, 2008
I will be wearing my 5mill dive boots from now on.

Don't count on the dive boots to stop a stingray. I got stung right through the boot once. I had pain in that foot for about a year when I'd first stand on it in the morning.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0018146830359a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=surf+boots&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=surf+boots&noImage=0

How are you walking in the water? shuffling your feet, picking them up Just curious...

I do shuffle my feet. But when turning around digging a hole or changing directions I guess I pick them up. I keep my coil in contact with the sand as well.
As for pain. It is as bad as it can get. The only thing you can do other than a Hospital, is to soak you sting area in HOT water for about an hour. I do mean HOT.
I found out later, 3 or 4 other people got stung in the same area the past few days. The boots in the link above will do the job. Just how comfortable are they? I don't like to wear boots in the water. I guess if you are going to be stupid, you got to be tuff.:rofl:

These are the most protective I've found.
The liners are kydex panels. They protect below the heel.
I wear them every time I'm in the water.

WindRiver.com

Website does'nt work correctly but look at the info. So call toll free. Talk to Jeff, Tell him that Ralph from Venice sent you.
You will find that dealing with Jeff is a breath of fresh air.

Toll free: 866-652-1115

I started out with sandals but I use to get to many small pebbles stuck in them . I switched to tennis shoes and tried some water shoes. They would fill with sand and small pebbles would get inside too. Someone on the forum suggested these boots and I like them a lot. They look kind of dorky but if you're nice to you're feet they will be nice to you :detecting: Absolutely no sand or pebbles get in these and they are comfortable. They have a zipper on the side which makes taking them off easier than the ones without the zipper.

NRS ATB Wetshoe. They have gone up in price since I got mine. I've had mine for over two years and they are still going strong.

HH Randy

i had a stingray chasing me around yesterday wouldn't leave me alone even after i poked him with the coil a few times finally went away

But did you retrieve what you were digging??? I think I need to armor plate my shoes. Where do people get hit most often I wonder???

The big problem with being barbed is bacterial infection. Unless of course it actually kills you outright ala Steve Irwin.
The spine sits in a recessed groove on top of the tail covered in a slime that swarms with bacteria.
On entering the human body and being exposed to all that good body heat the bacterial population just explodes.
Moral of the story.... get an antibacterial shot and preferably a tetanus as well asap.
Two times I got hit, once on the leg to the bone. Got my shot within a couple of hours... no problems, fixed in a few days.
Second time round on the finger to the bone..... this time did'nt bother. Its only a finger after all.
Well it tooks weeks to get over. Lesson learnt. Never again.

Lou.