Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New CTX 3030 issues

JayLT76

Hello everyone ,
So i just received my spankin new CTX and i have two issues i would like your opinions on. First is as i am taking the control box out of the box i noticed that there is a loose piece of something shaking around inside of it. I have no clue what it is but through the process of shaking it and listening to this little thing rattle around inside there it must have gotten stuck somewhere in there as it no longer can be heard shaking around. I have turned on the unit briefly and it seems like it is working fine but i have yet to actually use. Next issues is the lower shaft is extremely hard to adjust. It is binding about halfway and when it gets stuck it takes a good bit of "gentle force" to free it. So from you seasoned CTX'ers out there what do you think? Should i send this one back? I would expect from a 2500 machine that the finish would maybe be a tad better? Thanks

That is how the shaft is on all the machines, it helps to be holding it level to adjust. If the noise is gone, I wouldn't worry about that. Probably something minor.

The control box issue would concern me. It could be a screw that holds the circuit board in place. If it would come loose later on it could cause a short and fry the board.

Mike

If it was a loose screw I would be worried it would short out the board . I think I would go back where you bought it and have them deal with it and get a new one . sube

I would return it, should not be any foreign object in the control head. If it is any type metallic material may short the circuit cards. Minelab needs to be aware that they may have a quality control problem at their manufacturing facility.

If you got it from a local dealer I, like a previous poster, also suggest you take it back to them and get their assistance. If nothing else just get it on record that you heard something loose rattling around in the head unit. The machine is under warranty but if something occurs in a month or two, then you will be without a machine until it gets back from the service center.

As for the shaft being 'sticky' there is that 'quarter turn' thing in the directions when installing the lower shaft in the upper. I found that if the coil was flat on the floor and the shaft fairly vertical, then the shaft collapses really easy. Extending was another story. I used to put the coil flat on the surface, get it vertical, then put a toe on the coil to hold it down to extend it when it was new and tight. But, either too big a foot or too much tugging and the attachment sleeve with the bolt connector on it, pulled off the lower shaft! So, I cleaned it off and use 3 or 4 small drops of 'gorilla glue' and put it back on. Not a problem since. Some have suggested spraying the lower shaft with something but just be aware a 'spray on' with some sort of additive might collect dirt, grime, etc. I just wipe mine down with a clean damp towel then a dry one.

You have a great machine.

Ok so i contacted the dealer who i bought my CTX from, (big boy hobbies) Reported the issue of the shaky thing in the control box. They suggested i contacted minelab which i tried to do but no luck yet. Cant get them to answer the phone!? Anyway took the detector out for the first time to test it out. No issues and in fact i found two silvers! 1960 quarter and a 1960 Rosie! Pretty good first outing. Tomorrow it will take its first swim. So im going to try and contact minelab Monday and see what they have to say. I figure i am on day 3 of the 3 year warranty so if something catastrophic happens im covered. I will let you all know what minelab has to say Monday. Thanks for all the advice!

JayLT76 said:
Ok so i contacted the dealer who i bought my CTX from, (big boy hobbies) Reported the issue of the shaky thing in the control box. They suggested i contacted minelab which i tried to do but no luck yet. Cant get them to answer the phone!? Anyway took the detector out for the first time to test it out. No issues and in fact i found two silvers! 1960 quarter and a 1960 Rosie! Pretty good first outing. Tomorrow it will take its first swim. So im going to try and contact minelab Monday and see what they have to say. I figure i am on day 3 of the 3 year warranty so if something catastrophic happens im covered. I will let you all know what minelab has to say Monday. Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats on the silvers. I hope everything goes well. If you start noticing anything iffy with the detector, don't hesitate to contact Minelab. I hope you continue to find the good stuff! These machines are great. Mine has lasted two years with no real issues. Now I am getting it serviced, and hopefully they shine on that too. Good Luck. :detecting: