Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new coil 6X10 DD Eclipse MXT

Moe (FL)

I just bought a Whites 6x10DD Eclipse coil for my MXT. I also have the stock coil and a 4x6 DD coil. This evening I took the 6X10DD out for the first time to an old park that I have hunted many times before. The mineralization was 50-87%. I had the gain at +3 (all metal). The coil seemed to be a bit erratic. I found a half rusted beer cap and swinging over it, the vdi readings jumped all over the place 47, 24, 83, 16, etc. Is this normal for this coil or is something wrong? Compared with my other coils this one seems to jump a lot more over a target depending how I swing. Is this because the coil is picking other targets? This park has a lot of iron and trash.

I was starting to feel doubtful about my purchase when I got a clear signal with vdi=80,82,83,85,89. The meter read 7 inches. I started digging and I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled a very tiny coin. It was covered with a grayish layer but I could read "One Dime". First I thought that it was a Barber but when I got home I realized that I had found an 1887 seated Liberty dime. It looks in good condition. This is my oldest coin to date (been detecting about 8 months). I am so happy! I am keeping this coil but still would like to know if the jumpy readings mean anything unusual.

What is the best way to remove the grayish tarnish from the silver coin? or should I leave it as is?

Thanks and Happy Hunting to all!
Moe (FL)

Nice find, you are lucky to have found it given your high gain setting. Lower you gain and you will see that it will settle down. I use that coil and its a great coil, but if you set the gain to high it will become erratic. JMHO Dennis in Idaho

I agree with Dennis as the gain is too high is why it is not stable. The only time I set the gain in the + area is to check out a deep signal.
I too have the 6X10 coil and it is the main coil on our MXT and we have the little 4X6 also for the trashy areas.

If the silver coin is not a valuable coin and I want to clean off the black or gray I will use electrolysis if real bad and then use some cigarette ashes. I put my finger in water then some ashes and rub on the coin to clean it and rinse in water. Sometime just the ashes will clean them too, but like I say don't do it to a silver coin that is valuable.

Thanks to all for the comments!

What is the average gain for that coil? What kind of depth do you get at that level?

- Moe