Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Never say Never

Dan-MO

I posted a story here a couple of years ago about my last deer hunt. After nearly a lifetime of being a avid deer hunter-and with my son grown and not needing me to take him along - I came to the point where it was no longer fun. It got to be more like a job than a sport and I really didn't have any interest in shooting another deer in my life. I gave my deer rifle - a gift from my dad and mom-that I had used for 25 years-to my son and for the last 7 years have stayed home with no regrets.

With all that has gone on this year in my family-the loss of my mother-my unexpected heart problems resulting in a pacemaker and other unpleasant events - Danny has been begging me to go with him for the last 6 months. We only live about 30 miles from each other-but with his hectic work schedule and obligations to his wife and daughter-along with my hectic schedule and similar obligations-we never get to spend any time together - just father and son-these days. Some of my most pleasant memories are of times spent with him-usually hunting or fishing as he grew up. Before that I fondly remember spending time doing the same things with my own father.

I believe the events of this year have caused my son to realize the mortality of his father- the fact that there will come a time when I will be gone and he needs some more time to create some memories-as do I.

So today I bought a deer tag for the first time in 7 years. A couple of weeks ago I traded for a Ruger 300 mag. After getting the ok from my doctor to fire it-this past weekend I sighted the scope in on it. At 100 yards I can put 4 bullets in a silver dollar sized target. At 300 yards I can hit a paper plate sized target. I am confident that should I get a chance for a shot -and decide to take it-I can hit what I am shooting at-BUT shooting a deer is still not a priority to me-it would just be a bonus.

In a couple of weeks we will load up his camper and head for the same woods my grandfather used to hunt. We will leave on a Friday and stay till at least Monday-just Danny and me. We will hunt during the day and sit around the camp fire at night just talking and creating memories. This is what I am looking forward to the most and wouldn

n/t

Good Hunting to you , I wish I had the chance to hunt with my Dad before he passed on , and you are right the shooting is a bonus .... Wish you both a great time ..
Bill G.